Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think Reputation Defender Type Services Are Good or Bad?
I think they are good - businesses should have the right to remove bad reviews. 0 0%
I think they're bad - let the people be heard. 3 60.00%
I'm not sure. 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

It seems so obvious to me when a company uses a Reputation Defender type of service. No business that's been around awhile has a sterling - or worse - zero reputation on the internet. I have learned my lesson. When I see this now, I assume the company, in reality, has a terrible track record.

Short version: I searched the Internet for reviews for a property management company that's been around for at least 20 years. I couldn't find ANY reviews, at all. All those landlords and tenants - and none with any opinion at all? Turns out they're crooks, treating both landlords and tenants terribly, breaking all kinds of California laws, on and on. So, now, if I see a business has zero reviews, or only a few and they're all good...I run the other way. The only thing that I can figure, is that they pay for a reputation scrubber service to constantly remove bad reviews.

This just seems so against freedom of speech.

At least Yelp doesn't get rid of the negative reviews, but separates them out and doesn't count them in the overall rating of a company. I think that's scandalous, too, though. It still means the rich bullies win, IMO.

Your thoughts? How did you vote? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet