Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,158,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Shodan is not overly popular, because it's mostly used on the deepweb which most people aren't aware of unless they use TOR
I read some articles about Shodan and also watched some youtube videos about it earlier this evening. Do you remember the cartoons where the character sees something shocking and their hair stands on end, eyes bugged out, mouth wide open? I had a similar reaction. I guess I won't be searching for stuff like book and product reviews on Shodan, not what I expected at all, but it's good to know that it exists - it's important to know that. It was fascinating reading, I have to say, a real revelation on how far the Internet has gone and our reliance on it. By coincidence, the World Wide Web just turned 25 today. Thanks for the information about Shodan. Since joining city-data, it's been a real education!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 12:13 AM

Default Shodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Shodan is okay. It's overrated imo since, like Tor, it only has access to a small portion of the deep web. Good to keep kiddies occupied, I guess. But it's no deep web power tool.
I have to recover from the knowledge of the search engine called Shodan before absorbing more news about the deep web.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I have to recover from the knowledge of the search engine called Shodan before absorbing more news about the deep web.
Did you know there are (at least) 139 different search engines that you can add to that little box on the upper right? Up until last year, I never really considered any of them but now I keep 16 of them handy and none of them are google, bing or yahoo. Yep happy birthday www right? Hard to believe it's 25, wish I was!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:31 PM

Default Search Engines

Quote:
Did you know there are (at least) 139 different search engines that you can add to that little box on the upper right? Up until last year, I never really considered any of them but now I keep 16 of them handy and none of them are google, bing or yahoo. Yep happy birthday www right? Hard to believe it's 25, wish I was!
I didn't know there were so many search engines! The Internet has come a long way, seems like leaps and bounds in just 25 years. Everyone depends on the Internet so much these days that it is scary, but we can't go back now. I don't think we want to anyway. There are a lot of good stuff about the Internet though like we have better access to medical news and information about health matters. Also, life has become easier with the convenience of the Internet, but the opposite can be true, too LOL

Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
I didn't know there were so many search engines! The Internet has come a long way, seems like leaps and bounds in just 25 years. Everyone depends on the Internet so much these days that it is scary, but we can't go back now. I don't think we want to anyway. There are a lot of good stuff about the Internet though like we have better access to medical news and information about health matters. Also, life has become easier with the convenience of the Internet, but the opposite can be true, too LOL
Yeah I think in some ways we rely on the web just a little too much sometimes. Around here it has happened where a line is cut underground once in awhile and all the banks and tech businesses go bat crap crazy until it's repaired! You'd swear we went back to oil lamps and ink wells!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 PM

Default Internet

Quote:
Yeah I think in some ways we rely on the web just a little too much sometimes. Around here it has happened where a line is cut underground once in awhile and all the banks and tech businesses go bat crap crazy until it's repaired! You'd swear we went back to oil lamps and ink wells!
There should be a fallback system just in case the Internet shuts down for some reason. Recently, the President's healthcare website had a lot of problems and people couldn't sign up, etc., but I heard someone bring up a great point - how did people sign up for Social Security before the Internet or any thing in the past? We just fill out an application and sent it through the mail. People will go nuts if something happens to the Internet because they rely on it so much.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
There should be a fallback system just in case the Internet shuts down for some reason. Recently, the President's healthcare website had a lot of problems and people couldn't sign up, etc., but I heard someone bring up a great point - how did people sign up for Social Security before the Internet or any thing in the past? We just fill out an application and sent it through the mail. People will go nuts if something happens to the Internet because they rely on it so much.
People who wanted to sign up for ACA has the option of using a paper mail-in application or a phone application if they were unable to do it on the web. The website was just the focus of the media.

You can do almost everything without the internet... you just need to know how.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 PM

Default health website

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
People who wanted to sign up for ACA has the option of using a paper mail-in application or a phone application if they were unable to do it on the web. The website was just the focus of the media.

You can do almost everything without the internet... you just need to know how.
Yes, everyone focused on the problems with the website and not being able to sign up easily. Yet, there was a mail-in option! I am glad that they offered a non-online way of signing up. There are a lot of people who don't even have access to a computer or know how to use one like the older people. Also, some people don't like to sign up for stuff on the Internet.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:30 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times
Quote:
Everyone I talk with about the internet going down around the world - even experts - agree that it can and well may happen some day. Then, businesses will be frantically looking for the older, out-to-pasture workers who know how to figure compound interest without a computer.

Being that time of year, I was talking with a tax preparer yesterday. He has all his customers' records in his computers with no paper backups. Yes, he has them on electronic backups but are those backups always ship-shape? And how many times has he been in a hurry to go home and forgotten to do backup? Don't tell me you've never done this. Then there are those blasted computer crashes!

We even had "backups" when we filed for Social Security or wrote a business letter to the bank. We used carbon paper. Remember carbon paper? In our effort to save paper, we may be losing our minds trying to find records to prove we did indeed pay that mortgage. I agree that we need to save the paper to save the trees that our planet desperately needs. No argument. Just wondering. Something to ponder?

Old 03-14-2014, 06:34 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Everyone I talk with about the internet going down around the world - even experts - agree that it can and well may happen some day. Then, businesses will be frantically looking for the older, out-to-pasture workers who know how to figure compound interest without a computer.

Being that time of year, I was talking with a tax preparer yesterday. He has all his customers' records in his computers with no paper backups. Yes, he has them on electronic backups but are those backups always ship-shape? And how many times has he been in a hurry to go home and forgotten to do backup? Don't tell me you've never done this. Then there are those blasted computer crashes!

We even had "backups" when we filed for Social Security or wrote a business letter to the bank. We used carbon paper. Remember carbon paper? In our effort to save paper, we may be losing our minds trying to find records to prove we did indeed pay that mortgage. I agree that we need to save the paper to save the trees that our planet desperately needs. No argument. Just wondering. Something to ponder?
Ahhh, but people who tend to be irresponsible with digital files are just as likely to be irresponsible with paper.
It is about responsibility and skill, not the format, IMO.

Personally, I would rather go into my back up hard drives, or on line to find a file from years ago, then to pull that stack of bankers' boxes out of the closet.
Hard drives = local. No internet needed.
And, I can use my computer for calculations without the internet. Computers predate the internet by many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet