Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:36 AM

3,462 posts, read 4,812,978 times

Advertisements

My suggestiong are:

Namecheap for buying the domain.

Hostgator for hosting.

I use these for several sites and have no complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,565,355 times
Thanks again, everyone. Really appreciate the input.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 14,725 times
i woul advice you to stay away from godaddy for hosting ( they are okay for domain name registration ).

If you looking for only static pages, you may want to go for something like hostgator or justhost ( they provide website builder as well in the cpanel ).

If your husband looking for selling online, you will need to look into shopping carts.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 AM

843 posts, read 2,212,020 times
I'll second hostgator... however I'm a server geek and one main reason was SSH access. Their support is very good as well and very knowledgeable, I've had them tweak VPS settings (very low level stuff) and once you get escalated they don't bat an eye and carry out the changes.

I used godaddy for domain registration, cheap and easy.. no hosting there though..

I'd stay far away from 1&1 and network solutions, as well as (previously mentioned) site builders.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
I'll second hostgator... however I'm a server geek and one main reason was SSH access. Their support is very good as well and very knowledgeable, I've had them tweak VPS settings (very low level stuff) and once you get escalated they don't bat an eye and carry out the changes.

I used godaddy for domain registration, cheap and easy.. no hosting there though..

I'd stay far away from 1&1 and network solutions, as well as (previously mentioned) site builders.
1and1?

I like my $0.99 first year domain registrations.
But, Hosting? No possibility. No way. Agreed.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:53 PM

200 posts, read 240,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
My husband has a small business and we would like to create a website for it. I have basic web building and html skills from ~15 years ago and I'm looking forward to refreshing them.
I just want to caution you that HTML of today (along with CSS and Javascript), site design techniques/principals, SEO ramifications, etc. are nothing that they were 15 years ago. If your husbands success online is important to his business now or at any point in the near future, I would highly recommend not doing this on your own. This has the potential to hurt the business more than anything else.

A better avenue to an online presence (at least for now) might be social media.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:40 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,761,374 times
Hostgator is OK for a basic website where you have very little traffic. For anything more involved and high-end, I would do due diligence research online of webhosting companies and go to forums like Web Hosting Talk - The largest, most influential web hosting community on the Internet.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:03 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,103,797 times
I know this is an older thread...

I am looking at options to build a website (or transfer an existing website) for my company. It is more of an informational website but we post job openings there and I would like to be able to post a fillable application or at least a click to my email to submit resumes. I need it to be user friendly as I don't write code of any kind, so template based. We don't sell anything so we don't need those features. Mainly just need an "about us page", job openings, a page for links our customers need, contact us, etc. We are a non-profit organization so cheep is good but I still want quality. We don't upload many photos or files. We have a website that someone else maintains but he is slow to get information posted and I just want to have access to adding information when I need it up there, like right now and he's not working . He is not willing to give us access to upload our own information, which no one minded before because they didn't know how to do that anyway, but I want that access now.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Hosting, Reseller Hosting | InMotion Hosting

Not the cheapest, but I used them for clients for a number of years and all were satisfied. If you search the forums here you will find other posts about them by me and responses from others who went with them.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:10 PM

18 posts, read 17,244 times
Qwerty, I'd recommend using Wordpress to build your website. It is easy enough to use for a simple site and many web hosts offer "one-click" installation.

That said, there is still a bit of a learning curve with Wordpress. You might need someone techie to set up the site and show you how to add and delete information from your web pages. Once that's done, you probably won't need much help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet