Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,096,767 times

Advertisements

I still use e-mail and I love it. It is so amazing how fast and quick you can send and receive messages through a computer. I still send thank you notes by hand because that is how I was raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 01:01 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I LOVE email.....hate, HATE talking on the phone.

Facebook, meh, I use it mainly as a log-in method for various sites I use.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,554,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
But I am finding that a lot of my friends rarely use email any more...

Anyone else in this dilemma? What are you doing about it?
Email has become a problem. Now that we know of the eves-dropping situation it's really not good to put too much information in an email. While the "offical eves-dropping" isn't a concern for most. It does show the opportunity for anyone to eves-drop via electronic methods!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Thanks to the bypassing of long distance charges I have become almost exclusively a talker. Much faster to call than write to someone. Email and IM is used for sending some files though.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:58 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Email has become a problem. Now that we know of the eves-dropping situation it's really not good to put too much information in an email. While the "offical eves-dropping" isn't a concern for most. It does show the opportunity for anyone to eves-drop via electronic methods!
UNLESS you're conducting illegal activities on your email account, no one gives a flying turd what you chat about. IF you're that concerned about email not being secure, then there is a thing called TOR. Have you heard of it?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:50 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I LOVE email.....hate, HATE talking on the phone.
I completely agree. One thing about email though is that irony does not go over very well, despite using smiley faces. I have gotten into trouble with what I thought was some sarcastic humor.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I completely agree. One thing about email though is that irony does not go over very well, despite using smiley faces. I have gotten into trouble with what I thought was some sarcastic humor.
I have too. most people will not come right out and ask "was that sarcasm"? Especially women, and we both know what happens when you assume something?

Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 PM

526 posts, read 898,488 times
Any emails I may want are lost in all the junk mail. Communicate with friends (all over 60) by texting. if doing longer message where a keyboard is preferable, send text saying an email is being sent.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:31 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Despite the best efforts of some, email remains indispensable. If you are conducting any sort of business, Twitter and Facebook just won't cut it. I can't send or receive a proposal in 140 characters, I can't send or receive a contract on Facebook.

Now I do love text messaging, especially because I hearing is deteriorating and it is hard for me to communicate with people on the phone so texting is a life saver for short person to person communications.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
The e-mail novelty was nice, but I find that I don't really have a need nor a desire to engage in frequent correspondence with anybody. I have a dozen or so acquaintances that I occasionally email to, but it can be months in between. They all have unlimited long distance, so if they have something to tell me, they keep phoning my landline until I'm home and hear it ring and answer it. E-mail is used only to transmit links or other data to somebody, rarely just text messages (which in this context, means written messages that contain only words, I do not own a device capable of sending or receiving "text messages", or if I do own one, I don't know how and don't want to know).

I absolutely refuse, as a matter of principle, to use FaceBook or anything similar to transmit personal messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet