Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 02:17 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes they are just fronts to get crap on your computer......... (They use the excuse HEY WE ARE GIVING YOU THIS MOVIE.... NOW YOU LET US DO THIS)

DO NOT TRUST ANY OF THEM!!!!!!
This is NOT the case with all of them. You have to do your homework, if you want to use these sites, I've been using them for three years, with no virus problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 03:32 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Yes thats true...... Please be careful though bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80
What about the free movies on Youtube that do NOT take you to a different website to download? Are those to be avoided as well?
Well youtube does not allow copyright infringement like these other sites do so when stuff is uploaded to youtube AND IS NOT DELETED,its usually something with that film that puts it up for viewing..... (They tell youtube they are allowing it so it isnt removed (Since google took over youtube,THEY ARE VERY AWARE OF WHAT GETS PLACED ON THIER SERVER))

Old 06-10-2014, 12:29 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Try these, Watch Movies Online for Free - Viooz OR SolarMovies - Solar Movies - Watch Movies On SolarMovies

I just watched "Non stop" with Liam Neeson last weekend. Movie played flawlessly. No virus or malware issues at all with these.
Quote:
This is NOT the case with all of them. You have to do your homework, if you want to use these sites, I've been using them for three years, with no virus problems.
^This.

I *never download* media from such sites-have no need to, I just watch the stream on the site, then close when I'm done.
It's the sort of thing you develop a feel/instinct for, which sites seem too sketchy and which ones seem relatively benign.
Been doing this for years and nothing nefarious has yet befallen me as result.

Due to the grey area they inhabit legalistically, am reluctant to post links openly on forum
(lest it lead to content being removed from those sites), but am happy to send a DM with link(s).

Old 06-10-2014, 07:39 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Try these, Watch Movies Online for Free - Viooz OR SolarMovies - Solar Movies - Watch Movies On SolarMovies

I just watched "Non stop" with Liam Neeson last weekend. Movie played flawlessly. No virus or malware issues at all with these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
^This.

I *never download* media from such sites-have no need to, I just watch the stream on the site, then close when I'm done.
It's the sort of thing you develop a feel/instinct for, which sites seem too sketchy and which ones seem relatively benign.
Been doing this for years and nothing nefarious has yet befallen me as result.

Due to the grey area they inhabit legalistically, am reluctant to post links openly on forum
(lest it lead to content being removed from those sites), but am happy to send a DM with link(s).
These are illegal. You don't want to use them. They violate the laws derived from the constitution.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:13 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
These are illegal. You don't want to use them. They violate the laws derived from the constitution.
"derived" is right. The current copyright laws ALSO violate the law as designed within the spirit of the Constitution:

"The Copyright Clause of the United States Constitution (1787) authorized copyright legislation: "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries." That is, by guaranteeing them a period of time in which they alone could profit from their works, they would be enabled and encouraged to invest the time required to create them, and this would be good for society as a whole. A right to profit from the work has been the philosophical underpinning for much legislation extending the duration of copyright, to the life of the creator and beyond, to their heirs.

The original length of copyright in the United States was 14 years, and it had to be explicitly applied for. If the author wished, they could apply for a second 14‑year monopoly grant, but after that the work entered the public domain, so it could be used and built upon by others."

"since January 1, 1978:
The work is copyrighted for the author's life plus 70 years. In other words, 70 years after the day the author dies, the copyright expires. (It used to be the author's life plus fifty years, but the Copyright Term Extension Act of 1998 extended the term by 20 years.) If there is more than one author, the copyright expires 70 years after the last surviving author's death. If the material was created under a work for hire agreement, the copyright lasts 95 years from first publication, or 120 years from creation, whichever expires first. " Copyright - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now just how exactly a dead creator is supposed to profit and thereby be encouraged to create new works is a little beyond me. If we were following the Constitution, anything over 28 years old would be in public domain.

Instead - Warner Brothers claims copyright on a song written in 1893.
‘Happy Birthday’ Lawsuit Challenges Warner/Chappell’s Ownership | Variety

And lets not even get into Henrietta Lacks, and how she and her family were ripped off by force and patents allowed that were built upon her very being.

If you want to claim something is illegal under current law, fine. Just don't try to justify those laws as being in the spirit of the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet