U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:29 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,416,516 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread. What about public, nonprofit libraries that rent out movies and music for free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 08:37 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Interesting thread. What about public, nonprofit libraries that rent out movies and music for free?
Like regular rental stores, they own a license that allows them to rent it. They just rent it for free.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Like regular rental stores, they own a license that allows them to rent it. They just rent it for free.
But how does this help the artist? And I'd bet the libraries are probably not placing Macrovision on these movies and cds.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:09 PM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,821 times
Quote:
But how does this help the artist? And I'd bet the libraries are probably not placing Macrovision on these movies and cds.
Not sure about the artists directly, but I know that rental DVDs cost far more than regular ones, and that licensing music for public performance costs much more than buying CDs.

Copy protection on CDs is non existant, but on DVDs it's not placed on there by the retailer, but by the creator. Any Macrovision style protection would already be on the DVD before it gets to the library.

I'd also guess that people interested in getting a copy of a DVD aren't going to the library and checking the DVD out vs. when there are so many simpler methods available.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Not sure about the artists directly, but I know that rental DVDs cost far more than regular ones, and that licensing music for public performance costs much more than buying CDs.

Copy protection on CDs is non existant, but on DVDs it's not placed on there by the retailer, but by the creator. Any Macrovision style protection would already be on the DVD before it gets to the library.

I'd also guess that people interested in getting a copy of a DVD aren't going to the library and checking the DVD out vs. when there are so many simpler methods available.
Well yeah, I know that. I managed videos stores back in the mid 90's. Back in those days, VHS was king and yes, Macrovision was placed on these movies prior to us getting the movies in. Not only that, the movies were not available for sale as soon as they came out for rent. Some were, some were not. For instance, some movies were as much as $60 per VHS, some were even over $100 per copy. I'm specifically talking about the "new releases". I remember when Forest Gump first came out. We got an entire wall full of that movie for rent. I can't remember if it was also offered for sale right away or not, but we made our money back on that movie within the first week or two of rental.

Anyways, sorry for my reminiscing. I LOVED working at video stores!

Anyway, I don't know what the best solution is to curb piracy. If it were left up to me, I would invest in some technology that would prevent CDs from being ripped. Heck, I would even make it to where the CDs could not be played in your computer at all. If you want the digital format, maybe type a code into iTunes with the purchase of your CD and download the iTunes version. Kind of like how they do a lot of the movies nowadays with Ultraviolet and iTunes copies. That might happen down the road. Who knows?

Old 07-29-2014, 04:08 PM

40,195 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Quote:
If it's an original disc just like the one you would buy in the store they can lend out to anyone just like you can.

If it's a copy then AFAIK it would be an illegal copy.

Macrovision is actually a company that licenses various copy protection schemes often called "macrovision". You would first have to license it and it's not cheap. AFAIK it has to be commercially pressed disc, won't work on a burnable disc even if you wanted it too. The section of the disc the keys reside cannot be written too with a normal burner.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:19 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times
Quote:
Anyway, I don't know what the best solution is to curb piracy. If it were left up to me, I would invest in some technology that would prevent CDs from being ripped. Heck, I would even make it to where the CDs could not be played in your computer at all. If you want the digital format, maybe type a code into iTunes with the purchase of your CD and download the iTunes version. Kind of like how they do a lot of the movies nowadays with Ultraviolet and iTunes copies. That might happen down the road. Who knows?
The best way to curb piracy is to make the consumer of the product not feel like they are getting ripped off... Don't come up with lame excuses on why you troll for people to sue (MPAA/RIAA)

For those of you who support these Gestapo organizations I hope you don't take a video with the radio playing a copyrighted song in the background and get caught pirating music by the RIAA....

Old 07-30-2014, 12:25 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
The right and wrong here isn't about helping the artist. It's about using the material as it is appropriately licensed.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The best way to curb piracy is to make the consumer of the product not feel like they are getting ripped off... Don't come up with lame excuses on why you troll for people to sue (MPAA/RIAA)

For those of you who support these Gestapo organizations I hope you don't take a video with the radio playing a copyrighted song in the background and get caught pirating music by the RIAA....
There's a difference between supporting these organizations and violating copyright laws. Any intelligent person would realizes that all they have to do is stop buying the art to show their lack of support for these organizations. Pirating it is just stupid.

To call anti-Americans good guys... well, that might be your thing. But it's not likely to be shared by Americans.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 AM

40,195 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Incidental recording such as if it's on the radio and not the focus of the video is not infringement of copyright. Once you get into where it's part of the focus such as if you have a little kid singing along to the song you enter a gray area.

FYI I don't support ot like the tactics of the RIAA and MPAA especially their past and present tactics of trying to suppress technology (e.g. tax on CD's and CD recording devices). Just becsue you have these organizations abusing the system doesn't justify theft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or