U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,416,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The best way to curb piracy is to make the consumer of the product not feel like they are getting ripped off... Don't come up with lame excuses on why you troll for people to sue (MPAA/RIAA)

For those of you who support these Gestapo organizations I hope you don't take a video with the radio playing a copyrighted song in the background and get caught pirating music by the RIAA....
Hold on for a sec....I'm actually understanding what you're saying - I don't think you're getting my point. My point is NOT to support the MPAA/RIAA for the wrong reasons, which is for them to continue getting richer and giving the artist a smaller piece of the pie. Quite the opposite, actually.

I actually started typing this suggestion and changed my mind, but I DO agree that the consumer should feel like they are getting something for their money. What I started to suggest is to give the consumer a "package deal" option each time a new album is released from their favorite artist. This package deal can take various shapes and sizes, but one example I had is a deal where you get the album on 180gram vinyl + the compact disc (that cannot be ripped or copied), a poster or shirt, a coupon code that you can either enter into iTunes or Amazon music to download the digital copy of the album (that, again, cannot be duplicated), or a coupon for so much off on the purchase of concert tickets for said band. That's just one example I think would be a pretty sweet deal. The consumer could still have the option of just buying the CD or the album from iTunes, but if you're really into the band and you've been waiting for this album for ages, you're going to be willing to throw in the extra cash to get the cool loot.

And again, it doesn't have to follow that. It could simply be a CD/DVD combo with a full size poster. The thing is getting the consumer to feel it's worth it to purchase the "hard copy" of the album again. Nowadays, artists are probably not as pressured into making solid albums as they were back in the day. They're making a lot more money touring and selling their loot at concerts. I've seen artists release a song or two to iTunes at a time instead of an album full of fillers. So, there's almost no reason to ever purchase an entire album of music. People are going to download the "hits" and leave the fillers off. And even THAT is starting to get expensive, because these digital download sites like iTunes keep jacking up the prices on the tracks.

Anyways, back in the day, artists made money off of album sales, partly because copying albums meant copying them to cassettes that would wear out after so many "spins". Even the commercial cassettes would wear out (which drove me bonkers) and you'd have to go and buy a replacement copy. So, artists had both touring revenue AND record sales that made them pretty wealthy. Nowadays, it's not like that. The music is so portable and so easy to share that selling new music is almost an after thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:34 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
Quote:
If the RIAA and MPAA are so concerned with You shouldn’t enjoy somebody’s work without paying them for it. (which is the mantra they always whine about) why don't they go after the used book/movie/song businesses?
They tried and lost. They did this in, I think, the early '90s, when used CDs started to become a popular option for people looking to buy music.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
The best way to curb piracy is to make the consumer of the product not feel like they are getting ripped off...
I paid $10 for a new "album" last week. Id do not feel that I was ripped off.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM

40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I paid $10 for a new "album" last week. Id do not feel that I was ripped off.
I buy all my stuff used and since I have most of what I want I rarely buy anything, that's where the entertainment industry is really losing money. People like myself who legitimately purchase their music who had the vinyl copy and then multiple tape purchases no longer need to keep buying the same thing over and over.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:57 PM

701 posts, read 993,935 times
Quote:
The best way to curb piracy is to make the consumer of the product not feel like they are getting ripped off... Don't come up with lame excuses on why you troll for people to sue (MPAA/RIAA)

For those of you who support these Gestapo organizations I hope you don't take a video with the radio playing a copyrighted song in the background and get caught pirating music by the RIAA....

Piracy is the result of an inefficient distribution model.

To be clear, both the MPAA and RIAA are trade and lobby groups - they don't contribute anything positive to the product (music, movies or software). Sure, they're supposedly trying to protect the artists and jobs of people in these industries. In reality, they're just a bunch of lawyer types that make a living taking what money they can get from the companies and trade organizations. They're your basic lobbyists who try to influence politicians to pass laws to their advantage.

Rmember when these lobby tried to pressure Google to modify their search results to return what the MPAA/RIAA wanted, not what the users were searching for?

Old 07-30-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post

For some people it might be, for others they aren't going to pay for it no matter what.

Whatever the case you can't justify theft becsue you don't like the distribution system.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:49 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:

To be clear, both the MPAA and RIAA are trade and lobby groups - they don't contribute anything positive to the product (music, movies or software). Sure, they're supposedly trying to protect the artists and jobs of people in these industries. In reality, they're just a bunch of lawyer types that make a living taking what money they can get from the companies and trade organizations. They're your basic lobbyists who try to influence politicians to pass laws to their advantage.

Rmember when these lobby tried to pressure Google to modify their search results to return what the MPAA/RIAA wanted, not what the users were searching for?
If you don't like the way they run their business, simply don't buy their products.

What amazes me is people who try to justify copyright infringement by blaming a company's business practices. You don't have to be an anti-American to hold it to them. Just don't purchase their goods.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:58 AM

701 posts, read 993,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you don't like the way they run their business, simply don't buy their products.
Agreed. I don't buy products of companies whose practices I don't agree with.

So in a hypothetical company meeting on marketing strategy and how to protect the patents and copyrights on the company's products, ... while everyone is putting their proposed solutions on the table, I don't think I can throw this on the table: "If they don't like the way we run our business, we shouldn't let them buy our product." ? Or: "Call those MPAA/RIAA guys and tell them to start suing everyone that's pirating our products"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What amazes me is people who try to justify copyright infringement by blaming a company's business practices. You don't have to be an anti-American to hold it to them. Just don't purchase their goods.
As stated above, I don't purchase their products. And I'm not qualified to justify copyright infringement. No siree. Then again, I don't follow/support/worship the MPAA/RIAA like some people do.

I don't see why this has to be anti-American or pro-American. But if you want to apply that filter, I would point out that the MPAA/RIAA cabal strategies are clearly anti-American in ideal and values, drastically reducing the freedom and liberty of their citizens through lobbying and buying politicians and Congress, therefore, indirectly creating laws. A simple search on MPAA/RIAA activities would confirm this. (Besides, a lot of these American companies are also the ones laying off American employees, then bringing in foreign workers and even off-shoring the jobs. But that's all okay because .... "add the spin here" ...).

The "piracy problem" aren't really individual downloaders, who seem to be targeted a lot by the MPAA/RIAA, prosecuting them because they can't afford to fight back. Instead of bullying the small people, why don't they go after the companies (i.e. ISPs) that supply the infrastructure to enable downloading? Oh, right, because those companies can fight back with their own lawyers. It's easier to bully and make examples out of the little people.

Look, I agree, theft is theft. Artists/creators should be paid for their work. As a consumer, I'd prefer to buy directly from the creators. Pay them directly. In this day and age, this is possible. But, the publishers/big media are in the middle and control the distribution. They probably make more profit than the artist/creators.

Sorry, went off tangent there. My point, though, is that the MPAA/RIAA strategies aren't working (ya think?). Otherwise, there wouldn't be a "problem" anymore. Is it even in the best interest of the MPAA/RIAA to "solve the "problem"? So that they, as enforcers, can ask for less money from their client companies?

With the amount of money the MPAA/RIAA had years ago (reduced in recent years), they could have bought out Isohunt, Torrentz, Megaupload, and the like. Instead, they went after the publicity of prosecuting individual downloaders and trying to get laws passed. Makes one think that the goal really was to get more restrictive laws passed - like the demise of SOPA & PIPA. Thank God for those Americans that let their Congressmen know to reject these restrictive laws. But I'm sure they'll try again, when the citizens are not paying attention.

And this is why its important that people don't blindly follow the MPAA/RIAA and their beloved politicians. Too much is at stake here. These patent/copyright infringement problems go way beyond pirating software, music and movies. There's also the problem with fake medicines, fake car parts, fake airplane parts, ... etc... 3D printers are here. What kind of opportunitites and problems are coming? If the companies that own the patents/copyrights/trademarks don't solve these problems, we're all affected by it.

Obviously, nothing is ever "solved" in these forums. It's just another way to exchange ideas.

It's Time for a Fresh Look at Copyright Laws - Forbes

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...innovate.shtml

Old 07-31-2014, 01:14 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:

How is the distribution model "inefficient"?
In my day we actually had to go outside, get in a car, walk or ride a bike to go to the mall to shell out money for an abulm or tape.
Today? I can buy it on my phone without leaving my house, or on a train/boat/plane...
Hardly inefficient. How much more convenient do you need it?

Old 07-31-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:

I don't see why this has to be anti-American or pro-American. But if you want to apply that filter, I would point out that the MPAA/RIAA cabal strategies are clearly anti-American in ideal and values, drastically reducing the freedom and liberty of their citizens through lobbying and buying politicians and Congress, therefore, indirectly creating laws.
I'd agree and my biggest problem is their attempts to stifle technology. They have succeeded once and that is why standalone CD players are not burners. The "audio" CD's have a fee applied to them that goes to the RIAA that they are supposed to distribute to artists, a standalone CD player that can record will also have this fee levied making them more expensive. They will reject for recording any CD without the audio label.

They tried doing the same thing with computer burners... There is a laundry list of things they tried preventing getting to matket like VHS and MP3 players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or