U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:40 PM

40,195 posts, read 41,790,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
In my day we actually had to go outside, get in a car, walk or ride a bike to go to the mall to shell out money for an abulm or tape.

I remember those days, every Friday I would buy a tape.

The issue with the distribution especially early on was there wasn't any and when it did become legitimately available DRM. I have all the music I want on CD as I already mentioned. They might convince me to buy new tracks if I can get them in DVD-Audio or similar format that closely resemble the original mastering. They will also have to be DRM free and cost no more than 50 cents.

I'm not holding my breath but if I could get that I'd probably spend quite a bit of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:09 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Agreed. I don't buy products of companies whose practices I don't agree with.

So in a hypothetical company meeting on marketing strategy and how to protect the patents and copyrights on the company's products, ... while everyone is putting their proposed solutions on the table, I don't think I can throw this on the table: "If they don't like the way we run our business, we shouldn't let them buy our product." ? Or: "Call those MPAA/RIAA guys and tell them to start suing everyone that's pirating our products"?
What's your point?

Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
As stated above, I don't purchase their products. And I'm not qualified to justify copyright infringement. No siree. Then again, I don't follow/support/worship the MPAA/RIAA like some people do.

I don't see why this has to be anti-American or pro-American. But if you want to apply that filter, I would point out that the MPAA/RIAA cabal strategies are clearly anti-American in ideal and values, drastically reducing the freedom and liberty of their citizens through lobbying and buying politicians and Congress, therefore, indirectly creating laws. A simple search on MPAA/RIAA activities would confirm this. (Besides, a lot of these American companies are also the ones laying off American employees, then bringing in foreign workers and even off-shoring the jobs. But that's all okay because .... "add the spin here" ...).
It is absolutely an anti-American act to pirate. Copyrights are protected by directive of the Constitution of the United States. People who pirate refuse to abide my American laws put in place by our founding fathers. We're open to letting your foreigners in, but at least abide by our constitution.

The MPAA/RIAA hardly limit your freedom. All they do is make it difficult to do business with them. That's fine. You still have the freedom to watch the movie and listen to the music that you make; or have your mom sing to you; whatever.

If you don't like the MPAA/RIAA, don't watch or listen to their products. It's as simple as that.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
These patent/copyright infringement problems go way beyond pirating software, music and movies. There's also the problem with fake medicines, fake car parts, fake airplane parts, ... etc... 3D printers are here. What kind of opportunitites and problems are coming? If the companies that own the patents/copyrights/trademarks don't solve these problems, we're all affected by it.

Obviously, nothing is ever "solved" in these forums. It's just another way to exchange ideas.

It's Time for a Fresh Look at Copyright Laws - Forbes

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...innovate.shtml
This we can agree on. Patent law, specifically, needs to be revisited. Especially in pharma and md&d. The prices of pharma/medical products are too high and the patents are too short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or