U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:09 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,273,345 times

Advertisements

Dark Mail will hide everything in your email - Jul. 22, 2014

The article supports what I've known for a while. Email just isn't secure. But what are people *really* worried about with email eves-dropping? I'm sure if a gov agency can abuse it then others can too.

I've had problems with email in the past. Some important points are:

You can't be sure the person you send an email to gets the email unless you talk with them directly.
You can't be sure whether or not some third party is reading your emails.
You can't be sure who actually sent an email unless, again, you talk with the person directly.

I do know that sometimes I'll spend three weeks getting something done via email. That would only take three hours if everyone would just get together for the purpose of getting the task done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:31 PM

29,650 posts, read 16,073,203 times
Thanks for this. I had started a thread in the politics forum on his Lavabit shutdown with the government last year.

Good to know that he has not given up and totally caved in.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:45 PM

199 posts, read 225,273 times
Yes, 100% secure email will never be. There will always be others wanting your information for one reason or another. As for taking 3 weeks to get things done through email, I think that since people get so much email these days that they will either not read it when they receive it, don't realize there is a good message mixed in with the junk or they just don't worry about emails because of the quantity of it these days.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:36 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeekUniverse View Post
Yes, 100% secure email will never be. There will always be others wanting your information for one reason or another. As for taking 3 weeks to get things done through email, I think that since people get so much email these days that they will either not read it when they receive it, don't realize there is a good message mixed in with the junk or they just don't worry about emails because of the quantity of it these days.
Secure email has existed for decades....

It's just not commonly used.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:38 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I do know that sometimes I'll spend three weeks getting something done via email. That would only take three hours if everyone would just get together for the purpose of getting the task done.
I don't understand why you would spend three weeks doing something that can take three hours. Even if you cannot all get in the same room, there are plenty of better methods to communicate in real-time to get things done faster.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't understand why you would spend three weeks doing something that can take three hours.
I guess I was just being lazy like the others. From now on I won't be allowing that to happen. Or... I'll be getting a new team!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
I guess I was just being lazy like the others. From now on I won't be allowing that to happen. Or... I'll be getting a new team!
It's just the way we think now.
"Tom, can you call your friend at the newspaper and ask about placing an ad?"
*Next day*
"Talk to your friend yet?"
"I sent her an email. Waiting to hear back."
*Next day*
"Diane got back to me. She is talking to one of her guys and will email me a quote".
*Next Day*
"All set, here's the info you wanted..."
"Couldn't you have just called her and got this done on Monday?"
"Glenn...it's 2014. We email..."
"You should have called..."

Totally true story, names changed to protect (me).

3 months later, same exact situation.
"Can you CALL DIANE and see if they have any promotional pricing for this quarter"
"I'll email h..."
"Tom, just call her please"
"Alright."

She answered the phone.
He had what he wanted in 10 minutes... not 3 days.
Lesson learned. Glenn...you were right.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:26 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times
Quote:
No sympathy from this side of the fence....

What was so frigging hard if it was important to pick up a phone and dial as soon as you realized there was a massive communications problem with the person(s) you were sending the email to?

3 weeks? LMAO

Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
3 weeks? LMAO
I don't understand what is so funny? I think its just foolish to let tasks take that long when they could have been done so much sooner.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:22 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,416,516 times
I remember the days when I got so excited to receive an email. The reason for excitement was that it was from an actual person - not a bunch of salty spam, lol!

I don't quite understand why it would take the OP 3 weeks to communicate a solution to a task? If your team doesn't check email, then there is IM, and this thing called the telephone. Or, if you're like me and you see the name coming up on the phone and you'd rather not deal with that person.....hhhmmmm.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or