Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 02:28 PM

732 posts, read 968,578 times

Advertisements

On an EBay item auction listing, I initially bid a maximum of $200 in a listing that started at $100 then later I changed my mind and increased my maximum bid to $250 and EBay seemed to make it like I was bidding against myself as it raised the bid to $225 when I'm the only person bidding at the moment!

I don't remember this ever happening to me before. Is there a printed term that explains this new maximum bid feature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 04:23 PM

199 posts, read 261,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
On an EBay item auction listing, I initially bid a maximum of $200 in a listing that started at $100 then later I changed my mind and increased my maximum bid to $250 and EBay seemed to make it like I was bidding against myself as it raised the bid to $225 when I'm the only person bidding at the moment!

I don't remember this ever happening to me before. Is there a printed term that explains this new maximum bid feature?
If there have been no other bidders then the bid should not increase. I would call e-bay asap and tell them about it. They usually can take care of it right away and make the adjustment if there were no other bidders. There system has glitches sometimes but if you call them and talk to them about it they are pretty good at taking care of things like that. It's worth making the call for $25 IMO.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:26 PM

732 posts, read 968,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeekUniverse View Post
If there have been no other bidders then the bid should not increase. I would call e-bay asap and tell them about it. They usually can take care of it right away and make the adjustment if there were no other bidders. There system has glitches sometimes but if you call them and talk to them about it they are pretty good at taking care of things like that. It's worth making the call for $25 IMO.
It was actually $125 more (began at $100 and ended at $225 with me outbidding myself, heh). Evidently I could have then won the auction at $100 if EBay's script wasn't buggy junk.

The auction already ended, and the seller's going to find out the shipping cost tomorrow, so I guess it's too late. I told the seller what happened but he or she doesn't seem to care, I guess because they get an extra $125 if nobody else was planning to place bids.

I'm never going to increase a bid again. From now on I'm just going to wait until very late into the auction so I can give myself time to make up my mind, place my max bid amount and stick to it.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:00 AM

199 posts, read 261,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
It was actually $125 more (began at $100 and ended at $225 with me outbidding myself, heh). Evidently I could have then won the auction at $100 if EBay's script wasn't buggy junk.

The auction already ended, and the seller's going to find out the shipping cost tomorrow, so I guess it's too late. I told the seller what happened but he or she doesn't seem to care, I guess because they get an extra $125 if nobody else was planning to place bids.

I'm never going to increase a bid again. From now on I'm just going to wait until very late into the auction so I can give myself time to make up my mind, place my max bid amount and stick to it.
I would call ebay before you pay and talk to them and ask what happened. That's a lot of money to just let it go. I would call asap before paying and tell ebay what happened. The seller is most likely just going to ignore your explanations and just hope you pay the full amount. If you haven't paid and it is e-bay's fault then they should fix it for you, especially since you were the only bidder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet