U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:42 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,273,345 times

Advertisements

Everyone and their pet can create a nice looking website today. The real issue, to making the site a success, is being able to drive the *right* traffic to the site!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 AM

18,526 posts, read 55,444,914 times
My pet does a lousy job of creating websites. My attempts to teach it HTML 5 have failed miserably. All it does is sit in front of the screen and watch cat videos. I guess then that the obvious continuation of your startling revaluation is to make sure you have enough cat videos on your website.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:30 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
ummm, ok...

Old 07-27-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
All it does is sit in front of the screen and watch cat videos.
I think your pet is just milking the job!!!

Old 07-27-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
ummm, ok...
I can't tell who you're responding to. But I've been working in some site builders and have found it's really easy, even for the average person, to create great looking websites. Also the ability to create great web apps is approaching "average joe" skill levels.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 AM

40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
But I've been working in some site builders and have found it's really easy, ....
Be wary of site builders especially if it's a proprietary one used by the hosting company. Everything might be easy but try moving it to another host. Even If you can move the files which is questionable you're going to lose the backend for managing it. You'll be stuck building a new one from scratch and there is other issues as well such as getting easy access to the files. I volunteered to do website for a nonprofit and as the saying goes no good deed goes unpunished. They were using one of those site builders, it was nightmare mostly becsue there was no FTP access for the high resolution images they uploaded over 10 years. What should of took me a couple of clicks with FTP turned into a 2 day odyssey clicking around a web interface so I could right click and save each image.

If you're going to build site use a CMS like Drupal or Wordpress. There is a learning curve but if you ever go to move it to another host you can have it up and running in hours.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you're going to build site use a CMS like Drupal or Wordpress. There is a learning curve but if you ever go to move it to another host you can have it up and running in hours.
Moving a website that has been running Drupal or Wordpress isn't for the layman. I'm just talking about how easy it is for the average person to *build* a website with these new site builders.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
ummm, ok...
I think he's just wondering what kind of discussion you wanted to start with that post.
As am I.

Are you suggesting people should make websites? How about more info on that?
Teaching your dog to use Weebly to make a site? Video please!
Do you want to talk about driving traffic to websites??

Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,416,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Everyone and their pet can create a nice looking website today. The real issue, to making the site a success, is being able to drive the *right* traffic to the site!
Well, in theory web builders, such as the online version of Wordpress, make it automated for folks to build "professional" looking websites. But the problem I often see is that I can almost tell when someone is using a template and when they have actually hired a professional to build the site. Now, you might have a professional who can turn a template into something unique, but I'd argue that your website building novice is going to keep things looking pretty much like the template he or she started with.

For me, I hate using website builders, even though it's nice to have a starting template as a building block. The biggest thing I hate about them is that I feel I don't learn the important details of how things really work with today's website design. While it may take me years to build one decent looking website, I'd rather code everything from scratch - at least I know how it all works underneath. That might be the reason why I'm not a website designer, lol!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think he's just wondering what kind of discussion you wanted to start...
I think we should discuss focusing on website traffic. Now that most anyone can create a great looking site the next thing would be traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or