U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:04 AM

40,195 posts, read 41,790,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
The TB add-ons like WebMail 1.5.1 allow TB to access a webmail service like Yahoo by "automating" the keystrokes/mouse clicks you would have done in a browser to access your Yahoo mailbox.
You don't have to do that as long as the provider supports pop3/imap and you set the client up. See the link I posted above for Yahoo. Any major provider is going to have similar provisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 12:46 AM

199 posts, read 225,281 times
As for "Clients" I have always used Thunderbird which works great for my needs. A friend told me he uses Opera Mail Client and he loves it. I have downloaded it but not tried it as of yet. These are both "Clients" (They access your email accounts), not the email service/provider.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:07 AM

739 posts, read 946,921 times
Okay, I think I'm getting it now, thanks to all of you!
TB is the client and Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. is the provider.
Maybe my question should be,

"Which Email Provider Do You Use and Why?
What I'm sensing is they are all pretty much the same...?

Old 08-01-2014, 06:34 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I have used Inbox.com for email before.
You might be surprised to learn that inbox is considered a PUP/malware.

If you do research you'll find some providers are better than others. Yahoo for example has a history of hacks/account compromises, I wouldn't use them if they were the last provider on earth. Outlook.com/MSN/hotmail is pretty popular, as is Gmail, which has probably the best spam filter out of the bunch.

To access my work Exchange email account from home I use Em Client, the free version supports up to 2 email accounts and is very similar to Outlook (the Office program).

Old 08-01-2014, 06:44 AM

739 posts, read 946,921 times
Ya know, NHDAVE, just this morning I was signing in to Inbox and Firefox thought it was malware. So what you say makes sense. I think I'll get rid of it. Thank you.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:46 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
I would suggest running a scan with the free version of Malwarebytes. Inbox usually adds BHO's/extensions to your web browser and hijacks your default search engine.

Malwarebytes | Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

Old 08-04-2014, 03:00 AM

2,620 posts, read 3,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
Okay, I think I'm getting it now, thanks to all of you!
TB is the client and Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc. is the provider.
Maybe my question should be,

"Which Email Provider Do You Use and Why?
What I'm sensing is they are all pretty much the same...?
I use the free email service providers above. For using email to check online, I like GMail the best. Yahoo comes in a distant second place. On the backend of things, Yahoo is not being maintained as well as Gmail or Microsoft's (hotmail).

The good thing about these is if you change to a free webmail address, use that as your primary address and the one of your ISP. I quit using ISP email addresses long ago, because I change my ISP every year or 2 to get teaser deals.

I dislike Microsoft's the most, because I had a very old Hotmail account that I forgot to check for a few months, and they went in and deleted all my old email. The other providers are not as quick to delete your email (or disable your account) if you don't check your account regularly.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:19 AM

32,768 posts, read 33,730,068 times
I use yahoo and gmail.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:16 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I use yahoo and gmail.
I think the gmail client is excellent. It only works if you use gmail as your email, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet