Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 07:16 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,190 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this topic has come up before...

I have attached a 1TB WD hard drive full of movies, TV shows, etc., to my brand new Netgear router. I use this to stream movies via Chromecast & BubbleUPnP to 4 other TVs in the home, as well as phones, tablets and a WD Media hub.

What my question is, how is it possible to connect to my router (by that, I mean the movies on the hard drive attached to it) while away from home, connected to another wifi spot?

I have researched Plex, and it really seems too complicated to set up. Is there another method? Maybe an app that will make the connections automatically, or at least with the least input from the user? I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, which I'm fairly familiar in using.

I'd appreciate any input you guys/gals could give me. Thanks.

Edit: I have reviewed remote desktop applications, but AFAIK, this would connect me directly to the media hard-drive attached to the modem. There might be a way to use a remote desktop app to make an indirect connection, but if this is my only way, then I'll take it. So if anyone has suggestions concerning this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by Starman71; 08-02-2014 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 07:47 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Plex does take a few minutes to setup, but it works extremely well.

That said, it's really designed to run on a PC.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:12 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Couple of things, what is your internet upload speed? It has to be fast enough to support what you want to do so you don't get a lot of buffering, test here. Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Check the router settings and make sure it can be set to allow access to the drive from the outside safely.

You'll probably want to set up a Dynamic DNS services, this lets you set up a domain name to use to connect as your external IP address likely changes over time. There's a number of free services, No-IP, DuckDNS. Many routers only support DynDNS which has no free option so you'd have to run the DNS update client on a computer, it keeps your domain name in sync with your IP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet