U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:16 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Didnt work...

If you read the OP, I dont like proxies or VPNs.
Exactly WHAT didn't work?

For a computer geek you sure come across as a computer newbie....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 12:22 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
If you're with Comcast, get a new modem from them...the mac address will be different and should solve your problem and still keep your service. There are some mac spoof software out there, but i've never used one. The other alternative is to post in that forum from a wireless coffee shop if you're so desperate to post there.
If you're with Comcast, you can just get a new IP by changing the MAC address of your router/computer (whatever is directly connected to the modem). It will start a new lease. This only works if you don't have the modem/router combo.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
  1. log into router
  2. go to wan setup paage
  3. release ip address
  4. power cycle cable modem
  5. renew ip address
  6. see if your external ip changed
  7. change your nickname, and quit doing stuff that gets you banned
You would have to wait for the lease to expire in order to be assigned a new IP. So the chances of this working in one quick go are minimal.

However, if in between 3 and 4, you change the router's MAC address, the cable modem will start a new lease.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:28 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You would have to wait for the lease to expire in order to be assigned a new IP. So the chances of this working in one quick go are minimal.
Never fails me. YMMV. I'm on Cox in Las Vegas.

Quote:
However, if in between 3 and 4, you change the router's MAC address, the cable modem will start a new lease.
This should be pretty much universally true. Not everyone has the option, though.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Never fails me. YMMV. I'm on Cox in Las Vegas.
Interesting. How long is the initial lease? Does the lease get renewed? Does Cox use DHCP?

Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
Quote:
Interesting. How long is the initial lease? Does the lease get renewed? Does Cox use DHCP?
24 hrs
yes
yes

I know two sure fire ways to get a new IP (which I loathe, btw, because it means updating a lot of firewall rules, .htaccess files and such). I know them well because I try to avoid it happening. The first is changing the mac, as you mentioned. The other is the process I outlined above. I don't even need to power cycle the modem in most cases (those times when I actually do want a new ip) - just manually releasing the ip and then renewing is enough to get a different one. And from a technical standpoint, there's no reason that a dhcp server would prefer to reissue the same ip to the same device, if the previous lease had already been terminated.

ETA: I'm actually thinking about getting a business connection at home, so I can avoid the hassle that comes with the ip changing, as well as their monthly bandwidth cap. It's only a soft cap, but I don't like getting the emails almost every month, and trying to stay under their limit (which is 400gb on my plan) is a pain and hinders my ability to work in some cases. Another option I've thought about is directly connecting my home to my office, as a branch office would be. It would be very convenient to have both on the same logical network.

Last edited by swagger; 08-05-2014 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or