U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:02 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,737,854 times

Advertisements

They collect your info and put it into a big profile of you.... THEN THEY CAN SELL YOUR INFO TO SELLERS,ETC AND YOU START GETTING BLASTED WITH TELEMARKETING CALLS,SPAM EMAIL,ETC.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:11 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
I'm no Facebook fanboi. I'm really not. One of the things I strive to do on this forum is quash myths and misinformation.
That's what I hate more then anything. Paranoia caused by misinformation.
I really don't LOVE Facebook.

Dude111... they don't really SELL YOUR INFORMATION so much as provide ANONYMOUS DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION ABOUT YOU to advertisers. They do NOT in any way SELL your PERSONAL information to advertisers. This is NOT how FB makes money.
Do I really need to explain this?
Coca Cola will come to Facebook and say "Post our ad to all people in the Cleveland Ohio area that have 2 kids and a college education". They don't say "post this ad on Dude111's Facebook page". They don't pay Facebook for your home address. Yes FACEBOOK may know this about you BUT NOT THE ADVERTISERS.
Facebook won't even record your address UNLESS YOU GIVE IT TO THEM. Seriously. I know it's popular to hate Facebook but if you want to limit what Facebook knows about you, it isn't that hard.
Facebook does NOT give Coca Cola your phone number or your personal address. That's ridiculous that being on Facebook will generate Telemarketing calls. Not true even a tiny tiny tiny bit.
You DO NOT receive SPAM or POSTAL MAIL by signing up for and using Facebook.

That is flat out paranoia, Dude111.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:23 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'm no Facebook fanboi. I'm really not. One of the things I strive to do on this forum is quash myths and misinformation.
That's what I hate more then anything. Paranoia caused by misinformation.
I really don't LOVE Facebook.

Dude111... they don't really SELL YOUR INFORMATION so much as provide ANONYMOUS DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION ABOUT YOU to advertisers. They do NOT in any way SELL your PERSONAL information to advertisers. This is NOT how FB makes money.
Do I really need to explain this?
Coca Cola will come to Facebook and say "Post our ad to all people in the Cleveland Ohio area that have 2 kids and a college education". They don't say "post this ad on Dude111's Facebook page". They don't pay Facebook for your home address. Yes FACEBOOK may know this about you BUT NOT THE ADVERTISERS.
Facebook won't even record your address UNLESS YOU GIVE IT TO THEM. Seriously. I know it's popular to hate Facebook but if you want to limit what Facebook knows about you, it isn't that hard.
Facebook does NOT give Coca Cola your phone number or your personal address. That's ridiculous that being on Facebook will generate Telemarketing calls. Not true even a tiny tiny tiny bit.
You DO NOT receive SPAM or POSTAL MAIL by signing up for and using Facebook.

That is flat out paranoia, Dude111.
No, because Dude is not listening. He is lost in his personal paranoia and I hope he will find his way home.

please listen to what we are telling you.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:11 AM

34,293 posts, read 59,614,483 times
You FB apologists say what you want.

All I know is ever since the Facebook space ship abducted me and implanted that HUGE anal probe permanently, I have been getting hundreds of robocalls for unknown "cruises" and moneymaking schemes.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 AM

20,515 posts, read 20,511,864 times
I suppose timing would influence you to be convinced to that Mike, but I joined with a real name, address and usual email address and have had no increase in spam emails and FB, beside the point, rarely get unsolicited phone calls.
Maybe you're special?
I do get more targeted ads, depending on where else I have been on the www, most notably, what I Googled for.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:22 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish
You FB apologists say what you want.

All I know is ever since the Facebook space ship abducted me and implanted that HUGE anal probe permanently, I have been getting hundreds of robocalls for unknown "cruises" and moneymaking schemes.
Yup that can happen.... They sell your info to other ppl who then blast you with spam!!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:26 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yup that can happen.... They sell your info to other ppl who then blast you with spam!!
I think the space ship inhabitants deserve some of the blame...

Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
No they don't.... Mike was being sarcastic...

Can't do that with Dude111, Mike... EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET HIM.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:39 AM

34,293 posts, read 59,614,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No they don't.... Mike was being sarcastic...

Can't do that with Dude111, Mike... EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET HIM.
Hey, now... Just who the heck are you to say I am being "sarcastic?"

You ain't carrying 8 pounds of inter-galactic titanium in an important orificial area for the last 9 years, I would surmise...

Oh.
For the Record...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or