U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:41 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,737,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
First, this is VERY important to read and understand. I’m doing my best to look out for all the Facebook Users who aren’t as tech savvy as their kids or friends. I’m trying to help explain what’s happening because if I don’t…nobody else will!

If you’re anything like your neighbor…you probably use Facebook on your phone WAY more than you use it on a computer. You’ve been sending messages from the Facebook app and it probably always asks you if you want to install the Facebook Messenger App.

It’s always been OPTIONAL but coming soon to your Facebook experience….it won’t be an option…it will be mandatory if you care to send messages from your phone. [more]
http://hothits957.cbslocal.com/2014/...-messenger-app

I do my best to avoid ANY SHEEPLE on facebook as I want nothing to do with them -- They put thier own AS WELL AS MY PRIVACY @ risk and that I dont like!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 10:45 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Splitting Facebook into two apps is not a big deal. It doesn't impact your privacy any worse than before.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:01 PM

It gives facebook 100% access to your spying device!!!!!!!! (camera,microphone,etc)

YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO COMPROMISE OTHER PEOPLE'S PRIVACY WITH THAT TRASH!!!! (People you are around,etc)

Old 08-12-2014, 11:23 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
It gives facebook 100% access to your spying device!!!!!!!! (camera,microphone,etc)

YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO COMPROMISE OTHER PEOPLE'S PRIVACY WITH THAT TRASH!!!! (People you are around,etc)
The new Facebook Messenger App does not have any additional access than the Facebook App. What are you talking about?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:11 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
I don't think he has much of an idea what he's talking about.

Why the Facebook Messenger app is not the privacy nightmare people think it is | Naked Security

Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 AM

Thumbs down *

Did you read the link I posted mate??

Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 AM

Nope, as I don't use it and don't care, and I know you don't use it so why are you even on here complaining about it?

Did you read the link I posted?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 AM

Well its good you dont use it but YOU SHOULD CARE!!!!! (Its quite ignorant not to)

Your link is from someone who has been compromised,of course they will say its no big deal..... (I dont want to read it)

Old 08-13-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well its good you dont use it but YOU SHOULD CARE!!!!! (Its quite ignorant not to)

Your link is from someone who has been compromised,of course they will say its no big deal..... (I dont want to read it)
You're a riot. Might be time for a new tinfoil hat, yours is leaking.

No I shouldn't care, if I used it then I would care, as I don't I'm not affected by an issues you claim exist with the app. I have far better things to do than worry about the permissions of an app I don't use.

I would like to see what proof you have that the author has been compromised (I'm guessing none)

A local radio station is hardly considered a reputable source by those concerned with device security, and the mentioned permissions are used by many other apps, why aren't you whining about those?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:19 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Wow. I did glance at your post.
This is totally 100% paranoia. I love how the guy says "I am trying to look out for those that aren't as techy savvy..." This guy is an IDIOT!
So a guy who has NO TECH SAVVY is going to look out for others? Seriously?
News flash: The Facebook Messenger App, while I am not a big user of it, is actually PRETTY DAMN NICE.

EVERY Permission there is there for a VERY valid reason.

Quote:
Change the state of network connectivity – This means that Facebook can change or alter your connection to the Internet or cell service. You’re basically giving Facebook the ability to turn features on your phone on and off for it’s own reasons without telling you.
LOVE the paranoia here. Yea... Facebook is going to just shut off your access when it wants? Right? Because we know the best way to make your "customers" happy is to control thier data access and **** them off. Right?
It couldn't possibly be because the app supports Skype-Like functionality to make PHONECALLS over your WiFi network? This way the app can connect to your WiFi network automatically to facilitate that function and prevent the phone from dropping that connection so you don't lose your call. This allows it to NOT ask you every single time "Can I use your WiFi?"

Quote:
Call phone numbers and send SMS messages – This means that if Facebook wants to…it can send text messages to your contacts on your behalf. Do you see the trouble in this? Who is Facebook to be able to access and send messages on your phone? You’re basically giving a stranger your phone and telling them to do what they want when they want!
Wow... just... wow. This guy is GIVING ADVICE?!?!? And you're buying it?
This guy has NO CLUE how this app works. Facebook is NOT going to randomly send people texts. Yea... cuz that won't **** anyone off, now will it?
Facebook Messenger is positioning itself to be your communication app EVEN WITH PEOPLE NOT ON FACEBOOK. This is why it is technically just called MESSENGER.
It wants this permission so that YOU can send TXT messages through this app to people NOT on Facebook. Or call them. It's actually a damn good feature. Imagine calling friends in Europe when uyou travel to Europe and NOT needing to get a new data plan, or screw around with SIM cards. Nope. Just hop on WiFI and use MESSENGER to call your friends. Even ones not on Facebook.

Quote:
Record audio, and take pictures and videos, at any time – Read that line again….RECORD audio…TAKE pictures….AT ANY TIME!! That means that the folks at Facebook can see through your lens on your phone whenever they want..they can listen to what you’re saying via your microphone if they choose to!!
Wow. Just... wow.
This is so YOU can send VIDEO and PICS through the APP to your friends. Period. If it DOESN'T get this permission it will have to ask you every time you take a selfie to send to your buddy "Can Messenger access your camera...."
Yea... Facebook is going to secretly record you.

*sigh. Compete and total paranoia. Every permission there is there for a reason... and a damn good one. NOT to spy on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or