U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:55 AM

10,540 posts, read 6,476,328 times

Advertisements

I remember the first time I used a web browser and surfed the internet. It was in the early 1980s, and a guy was showing me (even afterward I had no idea what I just saw) how to search the internet, I think it was web crawler. One of the things he taught me was if you don't want to wait for the page to load, you could stop it and then read. Then later I learned about the escape (Esc) key, which stopped a browser from loading.

Nowadays, your held hostage when you click a site as it takes it's time to load every bell and whistle under the sun. Just click a news article to read and next thing you know, 3 videos load (no ultra high speed or high speed connectivity here), and you cannot stop it from loading.

Believe me, if I could, I would. I'm using IE11. Are there any browsers that allow you to stop loading and just read the article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 08:22 AM

3,544 posts, read 5,677,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
I remember the first time I used a web browser and surfed the internet. It was in the early 1980s, and a guy was showing me (even afterward I had no idea what I just saw) how to search the internet, I think it was web crawler. One of the things he taught me was if you don't want to wait for the page to load, you could stop it and then read. Then later I learned about the escape (Esc) key, which stopped a browser from loading.

Nowadays, your held hostage when you click a site as it takes it's time to load every bell and whistle under the sun. Just click a news article to read and next thing you know, 3 videos load (no ultra high speed or high speed connectivity here), and you cannot stop it from loading.

Believe me, if I could, I would. I'm using IE11. Are there any browsers that allow you to stop loading and just read the article?
Firefox has a button to stop the page loading, but more importantly it has plugins that will prevent those items from ever loading in the first place.

I run AdBlock Plus to stop adds from loading at all, FlashBlock to prevent video from auto playing, and Ghostery to stop third party tracking addons (you'd be surprised how much these can slow down sites).

Old 08-17-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Firefox has a button to stop the page loading, but more importantly it has plugins that will prevent those items from ever loading in the first place.

I run AdBlock Plus to stop adds from loading at all, FlashBlock to prevent video from auto playing, and Ghostery to stop third party tracking addons (you'd be surprised how much these can slow down sites).
Could you do me a favor? Load this breitbart news article and see if the you're able to immediately stop loading and read. I know about stop loading features of IE - you can either hit Esc, or hit the X in the url box. But nowadays, these web sites take control and don't allow it. breitbart is just one that comes to mind that takes control, and I'm curious how Firefox will perform.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:02 AM

3,544 posts, read 5,677,644 times
Quote:
Could you do me a favor? Load this breitbart news article and see if the you're able to immediately stop loading and read. I know about stop loading features of IE - you can either hit Esc, or hit the X in the url box. But nowadays, these web sites take control and don't allow it. breitbart is just one that comes to mind that takes control, and I'm curious how Firefox will perform.
I can stop it, but it breaks parts of it. ...

That said, it loads in about a second or so for me with everything blocked, so it's hard to stop it quickly ...

Frankly, that site is loaded with crap ... with Flashblock, AdBlock, and Ghostery turned off, it loads 67 external items, and two popups (these are ads, trackers, and other crap that points out to external sites).

With Flashblock on it's down to 40 items, and once Adblock is turned on it drops to 26.

Ghostery will block the rest (18 active blocks, that then prevent the others from loading as well).

Old 08-17-2014, 11:54 AM

18,503 posts, read 55,427,357 times
Use a free proxy server like Free Proxy Server - Free Proxy Website to Browse the Internet

Old 08-17-2014, 11:56 AM

35,108 posts, read 41,276,893 times
I remember when the news was all written words on the internet with a few photos here and there, not all those danged videos that I don't want to watch.
I want to read the story if I am interested.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Works great - thanks.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 PM

1,084 posts, read 829,641 times
Quote:
I use Pale Moon, a Firefox variant, with Flashblock, BlockSite, JS Switch, No Redirect, and I have set the script length to 1 second (scripts that take longer than 1 second cause a popup box to appear. I stop the script unless it is something I really want to see, such as my Email). breitbart is a site that I read regularly. It is one of many that engages in rude behavior, so I turn off JavaScript prior to accessing it.

I had to limit the script length to 1 second because the default time is something like 20 seconds. I do not want a bad script to lock up my browser for that length of time.

With these settings, breitbart loaded almost instantly.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:37 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,538,404 times
You can not stop a page from loading until ALL third party cookies [including trackers] have loaded. I discovered this from setting 'cookies' to 'prompt' view first. Not only can't you stop the page, you can't delete the page.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:54 PM

18,503 posts, read 55,427,357 times
Which is why you let a proxy do session cookies.

There are some sites that I refuse to even glance at anymore. The "Time" magazine website is so insane it isn't worth the time. It won't load properly on a proxy and even with adblock and no-script and careful allowing of permissions it sucks cowpond water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or