U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2014, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
5,894 posts, read 4,416,516 times
Reputation: 3934

Advertisements

What about accessing some of these sites through a VPN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2014, 03:43 PM
 
1,017 posts, read 1,563,969 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I she needs to use a computer,any library is available.
If she can't even get to a library, her problem is too big for you to help with, if she won't leave.
agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 PM
 
1,017 posts, read 1,563,969 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What about accessing some of these sites through a VPN?
correct me if i'm wrong but your hard drive keeps a record of all the sites that you visit. so if he wanted to he could go through the hard drive to see her activity. just because you delete things from your pc dosent mean there gone it just deletes the extensions and
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 04:45 PM
 
40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Reputation: 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
The goal here is to find a way to get around the restrictions that abusers create to control their victims, to create a safe option for them to access people/information/resources that can actually help them leave.
There is plenty of solutions but none of them are viable if someone has physical access to the device especially if they are involved in IT. Even any putz can use Google to find how to analyze internal logging features/history common on most devices or install something to track them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 04:53 PM
 
40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Reputation: 16740
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
just because you delete things from your pc dosent mean there gone it just deletes the extensions and
When something is deleted from the trash can it still exists on the drive however that space is now free for other data. Once it becomes overwritten recovery becomes impossible but there is some caveats to that. Firstly the file could be fragmented or when it's large only parts of it may be overwritten and partial recovery is possible. Secondly there is what they call slack space, your drive is divided into clusters and only one file can be written too a cluster. If only part of the cluster is written too the rest is called slack space and partial recovery of that data that has not been overwritten is possible.

That's why Windows gives you two sizes for files and folders under properties. Another of life's mysteries solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,314 posts, read 20,365,611 times
Reputation: 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Nothing hypothetical about her. Prepaid plans do exist. I don't know that she can or can't get one without him knowing. I'm just wondering if it's an option. I know she has a cell phone on his plan. Not sure what kind but I'm guessing any device on his plan can be monitored by him.
I see some prepaid mobile hotspots for sale on Walmart's website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 06:11 AM
 
Location: HoCo, MD
4,584 posts, read 8,194,016 times
Reputation: 5123
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What about accessing some of these sites through a VPN?
And you'll end up with the same result as the Harvard kid that sent a bomb threat via Tor. These tools provide confidentiality from those that are intercepting the traffic from the outside. If you have access to the internal network, it'll be useless.

Her only recourse is to use public terminals, friend's computers etc. Something where the abuser has no unrestricted access to the activities. She may even consider getting new emails accounts for herself just to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 05:09 PM
 
Location: In my skin
9,194 posts, read 14,534,499 times
Reputation: 9087
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
And you'll end up with the same result as the Harvard kid that sent a bomb threat via Tor. These tools provide confidentiality from those that are intercepting the traffic from the outside. If you have access to the internal network, it'll be useless.

Her only recourse is to use public terminals, friend's computers etc. Something where the abuser has no unrestricted access to the activities. She may even consider getting new emails accounts for herself just to be sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is plenty of solutions but none of them are viable if someone has physical access to the device especially if they are involved in IT. Even any putz can use Google to find how to analyze internal logging features/history common on most devices or install something to track them.
So it sounds like a laptop and a mobile internet/hot spot he doesn't know about would be a good option. What would she need to do to ensure the hotspot is not detected by his devices? I'm thinking she would only use it when he's not home. As long as she shuts it down before he gets home it won't show on the network list, correct? Any other advice there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 06:28 PM
 
541 posts, read 580,144 times
Reputation: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
So it sounds like a laptop and a mobile internet/hot spot he doesn't know about would be a good option. What would she need to do to ensure the hotspot is not detected by his devices? I'm thinking she would only use it when he's not home. As long as she shuts it down before he gets home it won't show on the network list, correct? Any other advice there?
Well, it could look he's picking up a neighbor's wifi hotspot, maybe? Perhaps she could name the hotspot "Smith Family" or whatnot. When he's home, she could switch to his hotspot.

Does she have a laptop? Can she bring it to Starbucks or a public library to use internet? It just worries me that if he discovers what she's doing (and if he's an IT guy, who knows what other things he could be doing to her computer), it could anger him and then go downhill from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 PM
 
Location: southern california
56,586 posts, read 75,671,674 times
Reputation: 49462
people that dont like to be watched often are up to no good.
financial infidelity is a biggie.
you are of course calling snooping domestic abuse. we can put whatever spin on it that suits us, however the bottom line is we dont trust each other. the question is should we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top