U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:47 AM

13,314 posts, read 20,365,611 times

Advertisements

Whenever I use Yelp, I head straight for the negative reviews first. As someone mentioned, many times it is for some silly reason. One place I saw had a really low rating with many negative reviews. However, not one was for a valid reason. I went there and everything was great. If I see a place with only positive reviews, I tend to be wary about that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 07:37 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,842,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
In the Yelp site, there is a link in the top page:

[red asterisk] Your trust is our top concern, so businesses can't pay to alter or remove their reviews. Learn more.

Learn more link:

Advertiser FAQ | Yelp

Money doesn’t buy anything but ads.

So. You might be wondering: If a business pays Yelp to advertise…
  • Do they get a higher rating?
  • Do they get their negative reviews removed?
  • Can they recommend more of their positive reviews?
No. No. And…no.
Interesting, a few unaffiliated business owners that I know well, told me that they were contacted by Yelp agents asking them if they'd be interested in "improving" their business for $250/month.

Wonder what that was about then?

Old 07-11-2015, 09:04 AM

2,620 posts, read 3,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Whenever I use Yelp, I head straight for the negative reviews first. As someone mentioned, many times it is for some silly reason. One place I saw had a really low rating with many negative reviews. However, not one was for a valid reason. I went there and everything was great. If I see a place with only positive reviews, I tend to be wary about that place.
I tend to do this with Yelp or any website where a business is reviewed, Google, etc. I look for the negative reviews, especially if I plan to spend a lot of money. For me about half of the negative reviews are not very useful, but then again, it just depends.

Yelp is alright and I tend to use it when researching businesses. I submit very few reviews overall. I usually do it myself if the service is great and the price is right. Positive or negative in content, roughly half of all reviews are not very useful for me.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:33 AM

7,139 posts, read 9,055,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Thats pretty much what I do with all reviews. I ignore the five star reviews, because I figure about 90% of them were written by family members and relatives of the owner. Then I analyze the bad reviews. If the reviewers are all nitpicking on stupid little things that wouldn't bother me, then I take that as a positive. If the worst problems others can find, wouldn't bother me, then I'm pretty confident dealing with that business.

Perspective is also important. If the review is for a one $ sign business, I don't expect five star service. Two stars for a one $ sign business is probably about as good as it's going to get.

I also find the Yelp picture section to be very useful. Pictures are worth a thousand words, and generally they don't lie. Yeah I know the pictures could be fake, but thats generally more work then most people will go through.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 07-12-2015 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet