U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 06:05 PM

12,435 posts, read 10,896,002 times

Advertisements

I used to love Yelp and use it frequently to find restaurants and other shops in the area. Now I absolutely despise it for the following reasons:

1. I'm sure you've all heard of Yelp's questionable business practices and how they contact companies with poor reviews and agree to remove them if you sign up for some kind of service with them (at a cost of course). So pay to remove negative reviews.

2. Most negative reviews I post are filtered. They still show up but they are hard to find and don't count toward the stores rating. I never use weird punctuation or lots of exclamation points. I'm quick and to the point and present my negative experiences. I don't cuss or personally call people out. I'm guessing these companies pay to have the negative reviews removed.

3. The searching in Yelp is laughable. When you start typing in the search bar it makes suggestions for you. It NEVER EVER EVER suggests what I want. You'd think when you type Starb it would auto populate Starbucks right? Nope, it suggests stupid variations that don't bring up all the Starbucks in the search results. I got things like Starbucks Cafe and Food, Starbucks Coffee and Tasty Treats, Starbucks Incorporated Coffee, Starbucks Coffee House but no simple Starbucks was suggested. The same for something like McDonalds. It suggests everything except the word Mcdonald's.

The only thing Yelp is good for is finding what you are near. It is useless for reviews and it will always make you type the exact full spelling of what you are looking for. I wish there was a nice alternative to Yelp that didn't filter results and didn't allow people to pay for removal of negative reviews.

That's my rant for the day. Anyone else despise Yelp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 06:08 PM

39,875 posts, read 57,694,079 times
There is no need to hate... anything. Just don't use it.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:12 PM

12,435 posts, read 10,896,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There is no need to hate... anything. Just don't use it.
Oh give me a break. You don't see anything wrong with small businesses that can be destroyed because the owners don't want to pay to remove possibly fake negative reviews that the competitors posted?

Last edited by elnina; 08-23-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 06:19 PM

There is almost no way to control that. How would they REALLY KNOW when a bad review is fake, or when posted by competitor, or not by unsatisfied customers?
Are you saying that every bad review is fake? Should we only post good reviews?
I posted several bad reviews (when justified) on Yelp, and no one, never contacted me about it, and they are all still there. I would be really mad, if someone would try to remove them.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-23-2014, 07:29 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,623,244 times
My personal experience with Yelp has been positive. I posted some rather mild complaints about a certain restaurant. The restaurant manager messaged me and apologized. He also sent a $50.00 gift certificate.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:48 PM

I try to use common sense when reading any reviews. Look for the number of reviews, then eliminate those extremely great and extremely bad. If this is about food, many times it's about a personal taste. I noticed often that what others were raving about, I found just mediocre. I make my own judgment - if the food is great but bad service, I will still go, but not so much if people are complementing interior and service, but not the food.
If the complaints are about merchandise or service - I try to check how the company resolved it.

There are several places (and growing) that advertise free food, drink or other freebies after you write a positive review on Yelp, or FB - that's unethical in my opinion.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:57 PM

4,929 posts, read 4,213,054 times
I have posted several bad reviews for different establishments. Those reviews are still there. I've never been contacted. I have also posted several good reviews for other establishments! Haven't been contacted about those either.

When I type in "Starb" in the search, the first result is "Starbucks Coffee Shop". That's pretty accurate!

Old 08-23-2014, 10:42 PM

7,139 posts, read 9,055,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I used to love Yelp and use it frequently to find restaurants and other shops in the area. Now I absolutely despise it for the following reasons:

1. I'm sure you've all heard of Yelp's questionable business practices and how they contact companies with poor reviews and agree to remove them if you sign up for some kind of service with them (at a cost of course). So pay to remove negative reviews.

2. Most negative reviews I post are filtered. They still show up but they are hard to find and don't count toward the stores rating. I never use weird punctuation or lots of exclamation points. I'm quick and to the point and present my negative experiences. I don't cuss or personally call people out. I'm guessing these companies pay to have the negative reviews removed.

3. The searching in Yelp is laughable. When you start typing in the search bar it makes suggestions for you. It NEVER EVER EVER suggests what I want. You'd think when you type Starb it would auto populate Starbucks right? Nope, it suggests stupid variations that don't bring up all the Starbucks in the search results. I got things like Starbucks Cafe and Food, Starbucks Coffee and Tasty Treats, Starbucks Incorporated Coffee, Starbucks Coffee House but no simple Starbucks was suggested. The same for something like McDonalds. It suggests everything except the word Mcdonald's.

The only thing Yelp is good for is finding what you are near. It is useless for reviews and it will always make you type the exact full spelling of what you are looking for. I wish there was a nice alternative to Yelp that didn't filter results and didn't allow people to pay for removal of negative reviews.

That's my rant for the day. Anyone else despise Yelp?
It's OK. I find it pretty useful. But I always switch from "Yelp Sort" to "Date". That way I get the most recent reviews, rather then just getting the ones Yelp wants me to see.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:31 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times
Have posted reviews on Yelp in a few cities and never once:

~ Have I been contacted by anyone

~ Ever had my reviews redacted or removed

As another person posted, you don't like something?

You do the American thing and take your business elsewhere...

Old 08-26-2014, 04:08 AM

199 posts, read 225,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I try to use common sense when reading any reviews. Look for the number of reviews, then eliminate those extremely great and extremely bad. If this is about food, many times it's about a personal taste. I noticed often that what others were raving about, I found just mediocre. I make my own judgment - if the food is great but bad service, I will still go, but not so much if people are complementing interior and service, but not the food.
If the complaints are about merchandise or service - I try to check how the company resolved it.

There are several places (and growing) that advertise free food, drink or other freebies after you write a positive review on Yelp, or FB - that's unethical in my opinion.
I completely agree with your outlook on this:
"There are several places (and growing) that advertise free food, drink or other freebies after you write a positive review on Yelp, or FB - that's unethical in my opinion."

There is incentive to post positive so people are going to post a good review just to get the freebies. It should be they get the freebies with any review, good or bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet