Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 04:37 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

I recently came across a woman who's husband is abusive and works in IT security. He put something on their wireless network at home and can monitor all the activity, get passwords, etc. I think she called it a "sniffer". My question is how can she get around that? Would a prepaid hot spot be an option? My thinking is that she could use it when he's not home and shut it off when he is there so he can't see the device on the network list. But I'm not tech savvy.

I know the best solution would be to leave him but let's stick to the topic please. This would really be helpful to victims trying to use the Internet for helpful information on how to escape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
A hotspot would work, but how would she get one without him knowing? You mentioned prepaid. Does one exist. A question about this hypothetical woman: Does she have a smartphone?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Firstly logging/tracking can be carried out through any device; routers, computers or a phone. These are all vulnerable if someone has access to them. Secondly, If the guy is in IT the chances of her hiding activities from him are pretty slim if he's going to be snooping on her laptop/phone. Even if there is no tracking software installed they can routinely leave information that can be pieced together by a knowledgeable person.

It would seem to the best advice here is for her not to do anything on a device this man has access too... well I guess the real best advice is for her to leave.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
A hotspot would work, but how would she get one without him knowing? You mentioned prepaid. Does one exist. A question about this hypothetical woman: Does she have a smartphone?
Nothing hypothetical about her. Prepaid plans do exist. I don't know that she can or can't get one without him knowing. I'm just wondering if it's an option. I know she has a cell phone on his plan. Not sure what kind but I'm guessing any device on his plan can be monitored by him.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Firstly logging/tracking can be carried out through any device; routers, computers or a phone. These are all vulnerable if someone has access to them. Secondly, If the guy is in IT the chances of her hiding activities from him are pretty slim if he's going to be snooping on her laptop/phone. Even if there is no tracking software installed they can routinely leave information that can be pieced together by a knowledgeable person.

It would seem to the best advice here is for her not to do anything on a device this man has access too... well I guess the real best advice is for her to leave.
Thank you.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:52 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
You basically would need to use only devices that the husband has no physical access to. Otherwise it'll do little good to protect her privacy.

In essence, if her privacy isnt being respected, there's not much you can do other than to remove the exposure (not do anything at the house).

And I agree with coalman about the bigger issue.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:58 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,334 times
I have to agree with coalman. the best thing for her to do is leave. sorry I would not be with someone that abusive. and now he want's to snoop around on her he sounds like a real NUT JOB

Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
I she needs to use a computer,any library is available.
If she can't even get to a library, her problem is too big for you to help with, if she won't leave.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:52 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I she needs to use a computer,any library is available.
If she can't even get to a library, her problem is too big for you to help with, if she won't leave.
agreed

Old 08-18-2014, 07:26 AM

The goal here is to find a way to get around the restrictions that abusers create to control their victims, to create a safe option for them to access people/information/resources that can actually help them leave. She's just one example I talked to recently, but there are many more like her. I get it. The IDEAL solution would be for her, and anyone in her situation, to leave. It is what makes the most sense. But abuse is neither sensible nor rational. There are real dangers for those who try to escape and that information is all over the net for anyone who is interested in actual facts. And whether or not you would tolerate it really doesn't matter. You're clearly equipped to avoid this sort of thing. She and others like her are not, for various reasons. That's just the reality.

Thank you to those who responded with info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet