U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:17 PM

803 posts, read 2,629,925 times

Advertisements

It's a MagicJack # (VOIP) and the scammers are somewhere in India. I wouldn't bother with trying to flood them with calls. Just block it and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,757 times
It's pretty easy actually, I've done it before. You need to find companies that have a "fax back server." Basically it's where you can request documents and have them faxed to any phone number you provide. But instead of giving them a fax number you give them the scammer's number or whomever you are trying to punish. The server will then try to deliver the document by calling the number and sending a fax tone. And what happens when a fax machine can't send a document successfully? It hangs up and automatically tries again a few minutes later - typically about 3 times until it gives up. So if you find about 1/2 dozen fax back servers and request a bunch of documents from each, it will results in hundreds of attempts to dial than number and then squelching in the person's ear, as well as tying up their inbound phone line.

Most chemical companies have them because they legally have to provide MSDS's (material safety data sheets) to the public. Most government offices, pharmaceutical companies, and educational institutions have them too.

Enjoy!

Old 04-14-2015, 09:31 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Get Em View Post
It's pretty easy actually, I've done it before. You need to find companies that have a "fax back server." Basically it's where you can request documents and have them faxed to any phone number you provide. But instead of giving them a fax number you give them the scammer's number or whomever you are trying to punish. The server will then try to deliver the document by calling the number and sending a fax tone. And what happens when a fax machine can't send a document successfully? It hangs up and automatically tries again a few minutes later - typically about 3 times until it gives up. So if you find about 1/2 dozen fax back servers and request a bunch of documents from each, it will results in hundreds of attempts to dial than number and then squelching in the person's ear, as well as tying up their inbound phone line.

Most chemical companies have them because they legally have to provide MSDS's (material safety data sheets) to the public. Most government offices, pharmaceutical companies, and educational institutions have them too.

Enjoy!
Sounds like a cheap man's DDOS attack....

Old 07-27-2016, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,312 times
There is little if anything that our federal government will do about scammers, case in point. I was on a legitimate site and clicked a link to read an additional article. Instantly my computer locked up and a warning message, appearing to be from Microsoft, appeared warning both in visual and audio that my computer had a virus. I immediately boxed the area and gathered as much information as I could. The hosting site is unimportant and foreign anyway. I'm sure these scammers are from India anyway but they are using phone exchanges here in the US... The number, if anyone is interested is 844-307-7679 and it's a kick to call this and listen to the incompetent on the other end with his heavy east indian accent try and explain that he's a Microsoft technician. (Funny) What isn't so funny is reporting this to all the federal agencies, only to be told that they are not the proper agency for investigating the matter. FCC, FTC, DOJ, FBI, and a host of civil agencies. So my question becomes who flips the switch to delete this from being a working number?? And what agency handles this?? More importantly does ANYONE even care. I too would like to find a war dialing program to call this number over and over just to waste their time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or