U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 06:59 AM

2,766 posts, read 2,344,425 times

Advertisements

I gave someone my gmail email address so they could send me some pictures of a house and instead of the pictures I received an email with the title:
Fwd: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Reading the notification failure, I see the person I gave my email address to incorrectly typed my email address by a few letters. I also noticed that the failure notification itself was forwarded (obviously) to my correct email address, which is utterly confusing and makes me wonder:

1. If the person trying to email me doesn't know what my actual email address is, how and why did I receive an email failure notification? Shouldn't only they get the email failure notification?

2. How would an automatic email failure notification know to forward the notification to the correct address of the recipient?

and

3. If it wasn't automatic, why on earth would the person emailing me forward a delivery failure notice with a wrong email address to my correct email address? If they know my correct email address, why don't they just resend the pictures to the correct email address?

signed,
utterly confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I gave someone my gmail email address so they could send me some pictures of a house and instead of the pictures I received an email with the title:
Fwd: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Reading the notification failure, I see the person I gave my email address to incorrectly typed my email address by a few letters. I also noticed that the failure notification itself was forwarded (obviously) to my correct email address, which is utterly confusing and makes me wonder:

1. If the person trying to email me doesn't know what my actual email address is, how and why did I receive an email failure notification? Shouldn't only they get the email failure notification?

2. How would an automatic email failure notification know to forward the notification to the correct address of the recipient?

and

3. If it wasn't automatic, why on earth would the person emailing me forward a delivery failure notice with a wrong email address to my correct email address? If they know my correct email address, why don't they just resend the pictures to the correct email address?

signed,
utterly confused.

It sounds like they forwarded the email failure to you themselves, not that it was sent automatically, and that they hand typed the address both times (once incorrectly, the other correctly).

They probably don't understand what any of the data in the failure notice means, or didn't read it, and just assume that it's in reference to the pictures, not in reference to the bad email address.

I had an email user (hosting client) forward a similar failure to me recently, stating that there was something wrong with their server. I pointed out that the failure notice stated that there was no such recipient @whateverdomain.com, and only then did they consider that they had mistyped the address.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 AM

4,929 posts, read 4,213,054 times
The sender typed in wrong address. They received "Failure" notice. They opened Failure notice, saw incorrect email, forwarded to correct email.

End of Story.

Sure, they could have gone into "Sent Messages", retrieved message, entered correct, sent. But it is just as easy to Forward.

No biggie.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 AM

1,847 posts, read 4,150,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
The sender typed in wrong address. They received "Failure" notice. They opened Failure notice, saw incorrect email, forwarded to correct email.

End of Story.

Sure, they could have gone into "Sent Messages", retrieved message, entered correct, sent. But it is just as easy to Forward.

No biggie.

Thst is my thinking too. But that person should still send you original email. That email with errors doesn't contain that data

Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 AM

28,611 posts, read 40,593,270 times
From the perceived sophistication of the user I doubt they understand that the pictures didn't get there in the first email.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

End of Story.

No biggie.
Yea, but they didn't attach the photos...donk!

Old 08-29-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
From the perceived sophistication of the user I doubt they understand that the pictures didn't get there in the first email.
Or the second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or