U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:48 AM

34,300 posts, read 59,614,483 times

Advertisements

More and more...
I go to a website, to shop.
Instead of being able to click on various options and see results in one click, the page reloads for every option I click.

Example:
I go to an appliance site.
Click Refrigerators.
Page load, which is expected.
I click Samsung.
Page re-loads
I click French Door.
Page re-loads
I click Stainless Steel.
Page re-loads
I click 25-30 Cubic Feet.
Page re-loads.

I would like to:
Click Samsung.
Click French Door.
Click Stainless Steel.
Click 25-30 Cubic Feet.
Re-load one time.

I know that GOOG and Bing like "sticky" sites, and multiple hits on a site, and index pages to rank in SERP, but is that all this is about?
It is a significant PITA and not at all convenient....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 08:56 AM

40,195 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Jquery/Ajax, while it might appear that it does the whole page doesn't reload.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,490,079 times
Or they could be not using ajax, and the page actually is reloading completely.

OP, they designed the site the way they designed the site. You have about as much control over that as you do over what I'll be having for lunch today. I'm sorry you don't like the technologies they're using (or not using), but it is what it is. You can either use the site or not.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Or they could be not using ajax, and the page actually is reloading completely.

OP, they designed the site the way they designed the site. You have about as much control over that as you do over what I'll be having for lunch today. I'm sorry you don't like the technologies they're using (or not using), but it is what it is. You can either use the site or not.
Of course. Surely, I'm not looking for control.

I'm merely trying to understand why they would ever consider such a PITA approach to consumers, and why it is becoming so widespread.

As far as the whole page reloading or not, it appears as a reload, since the entire screen blinks and then I see it all over again, including my choices. On a slow site, it may be a second or two of blank screen before it loads. And I have pretty fast internet, 30 down/5 up.

Using Ajax to show me a pop up with the "Price in the shopping cart" is not nearly as intrusive.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:11 AM

40,195 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

I'm merely trying to understand why they would ever consider such a PITA approach to consumers, and why it is becoming so widespread.
It's aimed at less savy users who would be more comfortable and less likely to make a mistake drilling down through the options step by step as opposed to selecting them all at once.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's aimed at less savy users who would be more comfortable and less likely to make a mistake drilling down through the options step by step as opposed to selecting them all at once.
I suppose.
Not that I would deign to designate myself as terribly savvy.....

Old 09-07-2014, 01:07 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,593,270 times
It irritates the Hell out of me. Quit wasting my time and let me choose everything once. At least make it an option for those of us with a modicum of intelligence.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It irritates the Hell out of me. Quit wasting my time and let me choose everything once. At least make it an option for those of us with a modicum of intelligence.
See.
That is the sort of reaction I wondered about when I posted.
A website that is prickly to consumers violates common sense. Being engaging is pretty important in a competitive world.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:34 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Jquery/Ajax, while it might appear that it does the whole page doesn't reload.
A lot of sites still do a whole page reload. AJAX, which is still popular today (sadly), doesn't really feel like a whole page reload, IMO. I can't wait till people stop using JQuery and AJAX.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:38 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Agreed. Whole page reloads and AJAX are old and slow ways to handle these interactions. It will take time to bring the entire web to modern standards, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or