U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:01 PM

9,058 posts, read 6,391,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
First, please forgive me if this post comes across as though I'm frustrated and grumpy. It's just that I am. And I'm usually not.

Second, let me say upfront that I'm NOT very tech savvy. I don't understand the lingo for things like POP, IMAP or other kinds of email interfaces. I'm not an idiot, I just tend to live very simply and technology isn't my thing.

I have three Hotmail email accounts that I use for different purposes. Lately, they've asked for verification in the form of codes. Fine. I complied. (Because they're not getting my phone number.) But they KEEP asking for the codes over and over again, even after I've verified them already.

Frankly, they can go to hell. I've reached my patience limit (and believe me, it's very high to begin with) and I want a new email provider.

I've been researching this for the last hour and it's frustrating because I don't know what to believe or who to trust, since this isn't really my thing. I'd appreciate some "real time" input instead of outdated articles that are years old! One blog post says Mail dot com is wonderful and the next one says it's the worst email provider ever. No provider seems to have a common consensus.

I'm just looking for something that's free and very simple to use. I want a provider that doesn't feel the need to freaking change the look or the way you use it every two months. I don't need calendars or contacts lists or anything else. I just need to send and receive simple emails. (A modicum of privacy and security from hackers would be nice, but I realize privacy with email providers is a joke.)

If possible, I'd like it to be ad-free and not have a weird name that I constantly have to spell when I tell people what my email address is.

I've even looked at overseas email providers like Yandex and Posteo.

I flat-out refuse to use Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, Outlook, or Hotmail! Please don't suggest them. Otherwise, I'm grateful for any advice or recommendations that you're kind enough to offer.
As others have pointed out, you're not going to find a perfect solution with every feature exactly as you want it.

I'm puzzled by your Hotmail problems because I use it every day with no issues. And, as far as I know, they are not scanning e-mails like G-mail does, but who knows for sure.

The only time I was asked for a code is when I tried to change one of the account settings (don't remember which one) and temporarily could not get into my alternate e-mail account (not used for years) because I had lost the password. Long story short, I found the password, got into the other account to verify identity I guess, and have never been asked for a code since.

I'm suggesting that solving your Hotmail problem may be simple once you regain some patience and may be your most practical solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 07:13 PM

39,864 posts, read 57,694,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Nope! I'm going to be one of those stubborn, old goats who refuses to change with the times! I've never even owned a microwave. I don't even have a TV, radio, stereo, CDs, DVDs or video games. No iPods, iPads, iPhones or anything else that requires my ears to be plugged. I still cook from scratch and make my own bread and butter every week. After air-conditioning and indoor plumbing, I was content. I only need email addresses, and a computer, because I'm writer.

When you've lived your life without these gadgets and gizmos, you see things that other people don't see - at least not clearly. These gizmos have turned our society into impatient, entertainment-driven, self-entitled, instant-gratification addicted, stressed out, inconsiderate beings whose time is consumed by "stuff." Other people only exist as necessities to ring up our purchases, fulfill our needs or as obstacles to bypass. As long as nobody messes with their entertainment or tells them they can't do something, they don't care what happens outside their little bubble. There's a level of oblivion that people are happy to walk in.

If the electricity goes out, people become irritable, impatient, panicky and angry because their stuff can't charge. No, I don't believe these things exist to make our lives easier. (Who said life was supposed to be easy?) They exist to consume our time, our finances, our personal information for the gain of others, our desires and, thus, our lives - all in the disguise of ease and pleasure.

It's all a matter of perception and what people consider important to them. My values are just different than most other people's. I don't see myself as any better or worse than others. Just different. Admittedly, I'm in the minute minority!
With all due respect to your lifestyle, you don't have or need to became a gadget zombie. Radio, or TV , or in fact any gadget doesn't make anyone impatient, entertainment-driven, self-entitled, instant-gratification addicted, stressed out, inconsiderate beings whose time is consumed by "stuff."
Those are "things". They are not evil, they have no brain, and can't make anyone do anything against their will.
Some people are depended or addicted to their gadgets, but they could be also addicted to work, shopping, alcohol, speeding, eating or what else. There are people simply overwhelmed by life, unable to think rationally, and now their problems became much more complicated by all these new devices and nonstop data coming at them. Those people developed mental problems, because (like with any addiction) they were not able to control themselves. But not everyone is so. Most people I know, enjoy GPS or camera when traveling, love to call their relatives across the states. Listen to radio music while relaxing or contemplating.
They are not addicted, they don't freak out when power goes off, they are not irritated or stressed out.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the electronic gadgets, and they should not be blamed.
It's people lack of common sense and coping skills to blame. It's the society that made them believe that they must work more, want more, and spend more, to be happy.
I assume that your rant is a product of your stress, sleepless night and problems with your cat.
Hope you feel better tomorrow
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 09-13-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 10-15-2014, 12:54 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,099,957 times
I recommend the email provider called "inbox.com" free and easy to use and don't require you to provide your cell phone number. I had this email for 7 years and never had any issues.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:58 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I recommend the email provider called "inbox.com" free and easy to use and don't require you to provide your cell phone number. I had this email for 7 years and never had any issues.
I wouldn't recommend any service that hijacks your browser search provider or installs malware toolbars, which inbox does

Old 10-15-2014, 03:16 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I wouldn't recommend any service that hijacks your browser search provider or installs malware toolbars, which inbox does

7 years and I have not had any issues

Old 10-15-2014, 03:19 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
7 years and I have not had any issues
Read reviews of the service, it might change your mind.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:56 PM

29,650 posts, read 16,073,203 times
I pay for email - $40/yr gets me lots of storage for both emails and files - also can use web domains for simple web pages. Very secure, very basic.

They have a $10/yr option (less than a dollar per month). 60 day free trial period also.
  • 250 MB email storage
  • Mail sync only (IMAP/SMTP)
  • No custom domain
  • Personal support
  • Fast, private and secure
  • No ads
fastmail.fm

Old 10-17-2014, 10:05 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I pay for email - $40/yr gets me lots of storage for both emails and files - also can use web domains for simple web pages. Very secure, very basic.

They have a $10/yr option (less than a dollar per month). 60 day free trial period also.
  • 250 MB email storage
  • Mail sync only (IMAP/SMTP)
  • No custom domain
  • Personal support
  • Fast, private and secure
  • No ads
fastmail.fm

How many storage does someone need for email? The free email I had for the past 7 years had plenty of storage.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:33 PM

29,650 posts, read 16,073,203 times
Quote:
How many storage does someone need for email? The free email I had for the past 7 years had plenty of storage.
It depends on why you are using email. I use the file storage feature also. With the internet capabilities, I can send links to my webpage for download instead of large file attachments.

For less than a dollar a month - the OP can have what he wants and be safe. I have used them for several years with no issues of being hacked.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:28 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
250 MB email storage
That would be utterly useless for me. I can't imagine any email provider, much less one you have to pay, offering less than 5gb, and that's the absolute minimum. Why does anyone pay for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or