U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:52 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,563,969 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/new-legis...653059329.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,631,471 times
Negative reviews are such a risky thing for web sites. That's why this site we're posting on doesn't allow them.

Even with legislation preventing them from being banned, there are still many ways that negative reviews can spark legal action from the business being reviewed.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:02 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
It amazes me that we need legislation for this. A review site is completely useless if they only allow positive reviews.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,593,270 times
Agreed. Any site where I only see positive reviews is quickly passed over as the information is biased, and I always wonder what's wrong with the reviewed item that they won't allow any negative comments.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:26 PM

18,534 posts, read 55,444,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Negative reviews are such a risky thing for web sites. That's why this site we're posting on doesn't allow them.

Even with legislation preventing them from being banned, there are still many ways that negative reviews can spark legal action from the business being reviewed.
I have posted negative comments about businesses on CD many times. However, I couch the same in language that states "this was my experience" in a factual and even manner, and then any comments as some variation of "my personal feelings are - ." Most often, I just let the facts speak on their own.

The issue is that slander IS an offense that any business or person can take you to court for. A lot of people don't get the difference between expressing personal opinion (protected speech) and impugning with the use of hyperbole and false claims.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:39 PM

36 posts, read 55,309 times
Of course there's a flip side - how to make Yelp work for your small business by encouraging negative reviews.

Richmond Restaurant Hacks Yelp By Encouraging Customers To Leave Bad Reviews « CBS San Francisco

Old 09-27-2014, 05:52 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
Its nothing more than proposed legislation and like most likely going no where.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:57 PM

39,875 posts, read 57,694,079 times
And then you have lots of positive reviews written by professionals, who get freebies for doing that (Amazon)
“There are a lot of reasons why people review on Amazon, ranging from the legitimate desire to share their knowledge (or show it off), the need to feed large egos, and even to just get ‘free’ stuff from Amazon and other vendors”
http://www.buzzfeed.com/justinesharr...n-super-review
Want Free Stuff from Amazon? Become a Top Reviewer - DailyFinance
Yelp:
Free Stuff for Good Reviews | Berkeley | Yelp

They should also prohibit writing positive reviews for personal gain.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:24 AM

7,139 posts, read 9,055,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric4114 View Post
Of course there's a flip side - how to make Yelp work for your small business by encouraging negative reviews.

Richmond Restaurant Hacks Yelp By Encouraging Customers To Leave Bad Reviews « CBS San Francisco
LOL, a mediocre three star restaurant that decided, if they can't be five stars, they might as well just skew the reviews to be a one star restaurant.

It still doesn't do anything to make me want to eat there, but what ever floats your boat.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:52 PM

199 posts, read 225,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They should also prohibit writing positive reviews for personal gain.
I full agree with you about this. Reviews were originally intended to show actual buyer/customer/etc. experiences and got twisted along the way. Paid/compensated reviews should never be allowed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet