U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:40 AM

10,713 posts, read 13,439,005 times

Advertisements

I got an email this morning from a friend. It had "Brain" in the title but nothing else. I informed him. Should I change my password?

weird stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I got an email this morning from a friend. It had "Brain" in the title but nothing else. I informed him. Should I change my password?

weird stuff!
Getting strange emails from contacts in no way indicates your account has been compromised, more likely theirs has.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:09 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,910,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Yes the data was just stolen, but it was OLD data, not current data.
At any rate, my paypal was hacked and people tried to transfer money from my bank account to paypal.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:18 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Could be related to this, especially if you share passwords across accounts.

eBay XSS password-stealing security hole "existed for months"

Old 09-23-2014, 10:37 PM

16,968 posts, read 17,141,026 times
Paypal does not seem to be on top of things.

I got my CC hacked via PP about 6 months ago. They bought 2 Walmart gift cards for 250 bucks each via my PP account......caught/cancelled it before the charges went through.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:55 PM

I was just able to remove all of my bank info from the account. I couldn't do it before because the transaction was still pending. Now that it has failed I was able to remove the info.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:30 AM

40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

In all honesty, my passwords may have been the same. I had changed my gmail password but it may very well have been the same as paypal. I am not sure. I have not used my paypal in years....
As I understand these hacked accounts were not because of breach of Google data.You need to use different password on different sites.

This is what happens, suppose you have site like CD here. Your password is encrypted as it should be on any site using a one way encryption where the password itself is the key. They don't need to know what the password is and that is why no site can tell you what it is. They encrypt it in case of a data breach.

I don't know what CD's policies are but generally speaking for a site like this the encryption used is not that strong because there is server performance concerns with strong encryption. If someone is able to hack the server and obtain a copy of the database they can then brute force those passwords to break the encryption.

Now they have a username, email address and password that are associated. Now they can move onto other sites like your email account, banking or Paypal to try those credentials.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As I understand these hacked accounts were not because of breach of Google data.You need to use different password on different sites.

This is what happens, suppose you have site like CD here. Your password is encrypted as it should be on any site using a one way encryption where the password itself is the key. They don't need to know what the password is and that is why no site can tell you what it is. They encrypt it in case of a data breach.

I don't know what CD's policies are but generally speaking for a site like this the encryption used is not that strong because there is server performance concerns with strong encryption. If someone is able to hack the server and obtain a copy of the database they can then brute force those passwords to break the encryption.

Now they have a username, email address and password that are associated. Now they can move onto other sites like your email account, banking or Paypal to try those credentials.
I have started using LastPass now, so that is good....

Old 09-28-2014, 09:06 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,676,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have started using LastPass now, so that is good....
Yay for password managers! I was going to recommend 1Password, as that's what I know about and use.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:44 AM

I got an e mail from Paypal today saying there has been strange activity on my account and they have put it on a limited access. There is no way someone could have guessed this LastPass generated password! WTHeck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or