U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 11:14 PM

4,923 posts, read 4,158,526 times

Advertisements

Up until yesterday I have always been able to access the following site with no problem using the Opera browser. https://ws1.aholdusa.com/jgpromos/homeaccess/index.htm

Now, no matter what I do (clearing cache, reboot, manually typing the url address) it wont open?

I continue to get "Unable to complete secure transaction" .. "Check that the address is spelled correctly, or "try searching for the site."

I also get this page ...

You tried to access the address https://ws1.aholdusa.com/jgpromos/homeaccess/index.htm, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

Secure connection: fatal error (47)

It isn't a problem with the https url because my bank and other secure sites still work. It is an opera browser problem because all of my other browsers will open the page. (firefox, pale moon, IE, chrome) (I am using the latest opera update)

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what the problem might be.

Yes, I know that one of the suggestions will be to use another browser!
I am just curious as to why this problem came about?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 11:22 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
ERROR 403: Forbidden.

Either the site is misconfigured, they took down the page/site you're trying to get or they moved it to a new location and you're accessing it via an old link. Have you tried navigating to it from their home page?

Old 10-17-2014, 11:31 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
I take that back... I tried it with a text browser (as I always do when testing unknown links posted in forums) and got the 403. I just pulled it up in my regular browser and it loaded a logon page. This condition isn't that uncommon, as some sites are set to refuse service to text browsers.

So I'm getting a logon page - is that what you're expecting?

Old 10-18-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I take that back... I tried it with a text browser (as I always do when testing unknown links posted in forums) and got the 403. I just pulled it up in my regular browser and it loaded a logon page. This condition isn't that uncommon, as some sites are set to refuse service to text browsers.

So I'm getting a logon page - is that what you're expecting?
Yes, that is where I log on.

It opens with all of my other browsers but has stopped working with opera.
(I've used opera to open the site for over two years)

Old 10-18-2014, 01:19 AM

39,864 posts, read 57,694,079 times
The website is fine. You need to log in. I have no way to know what happens after you log in...
Tried it with Chrome.
Maybe you need to re-load/re-install/update your Opera browser.
Or maybe the Ahold website changed security settings that are not compatible with Opera functions, or vice versa.
What Opera version you use?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 10-18-2014 at 01:36 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The website is fine. You need to log in. I have no way to know what happens after you log in...
Tried it with Chrome.
Maybe you need to re-load/re-install/update your Opera browser.
Or maybe the Ahold website changed security settings that are not compatible with Opera functions, or vice versa.
What Opera version you use?
That is the problem!

That is my log in page.

The page will open with all other browsers but not with opera .. after doing so for two years?

I have the latest opera but I think you may be right .. The site has become 'incompatible' with opera.

I received this answer from a tech forum ...

Security schemes in browsers are always being tweaked by the various companies that make the browsers, sometimes a new scheme will change the way the browser functions after an update on some sites.

That appears to be the case here.

Apparently SSL 3.0 has been disabled in the latest Opera due to a big security issue, most secure sites have stopped using the SSLv3 standard because of this security issue so Opera works fine on those sites but any secure site that is still using SSLv3 will not be accessible in Opera until they update their server to abandon SSLv3.

In the meantime you will have to use a browser that retains SSLv3 compatibility for those outdated https sites.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:35 AM

39,864 posts, read 57,694,079 times
Keep your Opera if you like that browser, just log into THIS page from another browser.
When I used Opera (and I really liked it at that time), I noticed myself compatibility issues with some sites - that's why I switched to Chrome.
I still use Opera Mini in one of my mobile phones, because it's secure, fast and feature-rich internet browser.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Keep your Opera if you like that browser, just log into THIS page from another browser.
When I used Opera (and I really liked it at that time), I noticed myself compatibility issues with some sites - that's why I switched to Chrome.
I still use Opera Mini in one of my mobile phones, because it's secure, fast and feature-rich internet browser.
Thank You elnina

Now to the important part .. If I befriend you, will you keep me off your 'infraction' radar?

I'm always willing to do some of this to stay 'safe'!

Old 10-18-2014, 08:11 AM

29,650 posts, read 16,073,203 times
I used Opera and got to this page.

Secure Web Application Signon

Old 10-18-2014, 12:45 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina
The website is fine.
Yes it loads fine for me in IE6 .. Maybe they were having problems for awhile??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or