U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:11 PM

39,864 posts, read 57,694,079 times

Advertisements

Just ran few "highly regarded" download speed tests, and each gave me different results: from 2.8 Mbps to 6.8 Mbps, to 12.3 Mbps to 20.6 Mbps.
Best Internet Speed Tests | Digital Trends

then tried AT&T Speed Test - Check Your Internet Speed, Speakeasy Speed Test, Internet Speed Test - CNET and Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and all gave me download speed in range 19.7- 21.6 Mbps. I pay for 20 Mbps.

So, what's going on with those "recommended" speed test websites? They seems to be totally unreliable.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:43 AM

18,526 posts, read 55,444,914 times
I've noted the same thing, but have figured that the NOC for my satellite feed is fetching and responding before it even gets to my computer except for the latency test. (Satellite feeds are crunched to save bandwidth for the satellite provider.) Another aspect is that the number of hops can change results, as can the speed of the individual hops of the packets. I doubt that any one speed test is meaningful. It is the aggregate results from a few that provide a useful guide.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:34 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,669,322 times
It also depends on the server you are testing against, like with speedtest.net, how it gives you different places to choose from before it starts the test, if the place you are testing against is under heavy load, it won't give you the speeds you should be seeing. Test at a few locations that are still close to you and get the average.

Truth be told I usually only run speed tests if my internet seems to be moving slow.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 PM

4,584 posts, read 8,194,016 times
When you make a request from a web server, the path sort of looks like this:

You--------ISP-------Internet------server's ISP------web server

That red part is what you're paying for. And what's between the two ISP's can comprise of multiple hops. Each of those hops can slow down the request/response. And as other's have indicated, there are various factors (distance, load, congestion, etc.). Even at just your own end, how you connect to your LAN and what's going on your own network can impact those numbers as well.

As they say - there's bandwidth, and there's throughput.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:10 AM

Ha! Thank you all for the explanation. It makes sense. I will not bother with that anymore.
And yes, I run speed test when I notice that my computer is really slow.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-23-2014, 09:47 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times
Run it while connected wireless. That will get your attention.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 AM

199 posts, read 225,273 times
The speed tests are going to vary depending on where you are in relation to where the test server/site is located. Since these test sites have different locations your results are going to vary from site to site.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:45 AM

Yeah, I was aware of that, but not that the speed test results would be between 2.8 and 21.6 Mbps.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:34 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,671,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Run it while connected wireless. That will get your attention.
Actually having a high end router will resolve that. My worst case scenario is about 20% loss at my furthest point in wireless vs wired.

Old 10-31-2014, 03:51 PM

199 posts, read 225,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah, I was aware of that, but not that the speed test results would be between 2.8 and 21.6 Mbps.
That is a drastic difference. Most of the times I have ran those tests the difference at most was double. I wouldn't think you would see that much of a difference between the high end and low end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or