U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 08:30 AM

436 posts, read 332,912 times

Advertisements

I'm decent with (basic, not programming) web design, but there's a feature I don't know how to look up, because I have no idea what it's called, or even how I would put it into a search engine.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how I can sort-of replicate the idea on this page:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/

You have a list of restaurants, but depending on what boxes you check up top, some of them disappear. I don't want to list them individually, because some selections could fall into multiple categories. (For a restaurant example, a pizza restaurant could be both a table service and a quick service restaurant, as well as a pizza restaurant.)

For my site, I would need three categories - one for service type, one for cuisine, and one for price.

Does anyone know what this is called? I can find/follow a tutorial as long as I know what I'm looking up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,561,593 times
If you're not interested in learning how to do the programming portion (and later hosting) of site creation, you'll probably want to try to find someone to pay to make it for you. I don't think you'll find something that will be quite as plug and play as you need if you're not interested in learning how to develop client (javascript) or server (pick your postbacky poison) code. Maybe there's some crazy wordpress plugins or something out there but I'm not in the loop on those.

If you want to get involved and learn something awesome, check out AngularJS, it'll do this and more. Once you get your head around how it works, it's not so hard to put this together. However, Angular has a pretty steep learning curve and it will definitely take you weeks to get into it. There are tons and tons of video tutorials and examples out there. Here's a fiddle that kind of sort of does what you're looking for:

http://jsfiddle.net/nirmalkumar_86/9F89Q/5/

(not saying use this as a tutorial, it's somewhat badly written, but it's just a proof of concept)

What are you currently using to create websites? Maybe there is a plugin or something that would help. Also, where are you keeping the items you'll be filtering? A database somewhere? JSON file?

Last edited by adyn; 10-24-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 10-24-2014, 04:35 PM

14,376 posts, read 21,048,697 times
dynamic filter options

Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 PM

436 posts, read 332,912 times
Adyn - I'm definitely interested in learning more web design / programming down the road, but right now I have a quick project that I'm trying to knock out in the meantime. The site I need this for is mostly complete except for this one section. As I have a million projects I'm working on through the end of 2014 (most of them not web design related) I don't have time to sit down and go in-depth with learning. However, I should have some time after the holidays to start more research. I'll check out AngularJS then. Thanks for the suggestion.

And Dave - thanks very much too. Definitely have more to go on now, even as a starting point.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:22 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,749,884 times
You can do it with AJAX. Here is a simple example just to get the gist of it.

Tryit Editor v2.1

It can get way more complicated than this because the line below can point to a dynamic script if you want it to:

xmlhttp.open("GET","ajax_info.txt",true);

Old 10-25-2014, 08:38 AM

10,254 posts, read 5,704,722 times
I'm a backend developer but when I need UI work for a proof of concept (people don't seem to do well with demos that have no visual aspect), I rely mostly on AngularJS with Bootstrap.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 444 times
Thumbs up Nice Question......

I like these question...related to web design.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or