U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What internet browser do you use?
Internet Explorer 12 13.19%
Mozilla Firefox 27 29.67%
Google Chrome 35 38.46%
Safari 5 5.49%
Opera 3 3.30%
Other 9 9.89%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:32 AM

5,894 posts, read 4,416,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
There's nothing negative about pointing out the foolishness of installing closed source software from no-name companies that we know nothing about, especially when their products are filled with errors right in the user interface. If they can't even get that right, what makes you have any confidence that they can write stable, secure code?

The fact is, putting together a Chromium-based browser requires virtually no skill. Neither does putting together a Firefox derivative. So I'm not just going to blindly trust that the people putting these browsers out know what they're doing. Nor am I going to blindly assume that the software they're putting out is free of nasty security holes, spyware, tracking cookies, etc.

Well, you know you can test this stuff in a secured layer if you don't trust it. I do agree that if I want to use something that resembles Firefox or Google Chrome, I'll just use Firefox or Google Chrome. But, to test out a new browser that is unlike any of the major ones would be interesting. After all, eventually, there's always something new that takes the place of the old. Of course, I'd say that there's enough web browsers to choose from (IE, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome) that we probably don't need any others.

To add, one of my favorite web browsers is Links2. You have a choice to "browse" websites on the command line - just text based. Or you can crank up it's GUI interface which is based on HTML4 code. It takes out all of the crap stuff that you have to deal with on these new fangled websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 06:55 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,671,575 times
I've been using the fairly new chromium based Slimjet recently and like it so far. Faster than Firefox and it's doing the job for me at this time without any glitches.

Download Slimjet - MajorGeeks

Old 03-18-2015, 11:28 AM

521 posts, read 907,901 times
Currently, Chrome. But over the last week it has started crashing on me multiple times a day. To the point where I have created a new user profile. If it continues to keep crashing I'll be going back to Firefox unless I find a better alternative.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:19 PM

1,743 posts, read 983,449 times
Kinda convinced the voters for Internet Explorer are trolls...

Chrome for me.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:34 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,734,548 times
Firefox is lighter than Chrome on my little old 1GB XP laptops. Chrome is decent enough, but it tends to spawn a lot of processes and gobble up RAM.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:35 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck
Why because we have our own minds and can come to our OWN conclusions??

IE is as good as any other browser!! (Its the END USER that can be the problem)

Old 03-21-2015, 07:24 PM

7,293 posts, read 6,672,673 times
I was using firefox until today because chrome kept duplicating bookmarks, but that's because I was signed in to chrome's sync. Signed out, stopped syncing with chrome and only with xmarks, and now it's all good.

Chrome is just snappier than firefox. Installed xmarks, lastpass, and AdGuard ad blocker which I found to do a better job than adblock plus for the annoying javascript popup spam you often find on mercola.com or car dealer websites... the stuff it doesn't catch you can highlight yourself and remove with the program itself easily.

Chrome from now on.

I use "mklink" to redirect the browser cache in chrome to a ramdrive.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:15 AM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times
Just started using Vivaldi, so far so good...

Old 03-22-2015, 12:23 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,705,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Just started using Vivaldi, so far so good...
It's still very raw and missing lots of features, but I like the direction it's going. Hopefully they succeed in making a browser that lives up to what the old Opera was.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 PM

34,300 posts, read 59,614,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post

Chrome for me.

LOL

I use IE11 for about 95% of my browsing, and I seem to cover a lot of ground at will. Don't care about Chrome at all. I use FF a little, but really don't care about it either.

It isn't an election, fer cryin' out loud. It is a "poll."
So I didn't "vote" or "troll" for IE. I said I use it in the poll. It's just the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or