U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 11:41 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,631,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's something you'll figure out when the time comes.
It's also another reason to use good forum software, because the good stuff has the capability to incorporate ads baked right into the software. And if the companies that serve up those ads make changes on their end, the pro software will be updated quickly to account for those changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 11:47 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Not if you want robust, professional forum software, like the vBulletin that this forum runs on.

Buy vBulletin 5 Connect

I used to administer a couple of forums that ran on phpBB, one of those popular, free software options you reference. Keeping spam out of them took a couple of hours of effort every week.
There is free robust, professional forum software.

I'd be cautious about posting links to vBulleton. You don't want people starting new forums to use such antiquated software. vBulleton is great for those already using it due to the complexity in migration. However, you wouldn't want to use it today if you're just starting out. Keep in mind, that it uses PHP and MySQL... this isn't the 90s anymore.

A better solution would be NodeBB (just one example). The software itself is free and very robust (and most importantly, not using old technologies like PHP). There are paid options for NodeBB available as well.

Old 11-08-2014, 11:48 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
True some software costs money.

I've also watched forums migrate from costly platforms for phpBB though. It's a giant pain to migrate a forum over to a different platform though, and phpBB used to be a real pig.
PHP in general is a real pig....

Old 11-09-2014, 01:00 AM

7,260 posts, read 4,846,273 times
From the questions you're asking, it sounds as though you don't have much expertise in running internet forums. If you don't have a lot of technical skills, you may have to pay someone for tech help from time to time as well - especially if the site ever gets hacked. Just worth keeping in mind.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:03 AM

40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Costs are minimal to get sarted, you can start out with shared hosting. You can download and install phpBB for free.

https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
You might check out proboards.com for additional information.

Forums Hosted For FREE By ProBoards
Get Your Own Free Message Boards & Free Forums!

I'm not commenting specifically on these services but you need to be very careful about the free forum services. They are usually going to have a lot of ads and you get none of that revenue. If your forum becomes popular and you want to move it to your own server they will often charge a large amount for a copy of the database and uploaded files. Last but not least when you do go to move it you are going to lose all that traffic you have built up.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

I used to administer a couple of forums that ran on phpBB, one of those popular, free software options you reference. Keeping spam out of them took a couple of hours of effort every week.
There is multiple drop in anti spam modules available for phpBB.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Had the same issue as well. Upgrading phpBB used to be an incredible PITA too (I'd assume that it probably still is).

Depends, if you only have a base install should be only a few minutes. There is lot of built in tools available starting in 2007 with phpBB3 that helps handle modified boards too.

https://www.phpbb.com/mods/umil/

The latest version which was just released uses extensions but I haven't had any time to dig into it yet.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:18 AM

34,293 posts, read 59,614,483 times
The investment for good software really is small.
https://xenforo.com/

Like a lot of opportunities, it does not take a lot of cash to start.
The time required to build, promote, and nurture a forum to sustain itself is large.
Sticking with it, and being positive are necessary. Find a niche you like, know, and can support and promote.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
and phpBB used to be a real pig.

The benchmarks for phpBB3 are very fast, I can't find the information but if I recall correctly execution time for the index page on phpBB was some ridiculous amount like 2.3 , phpbb3 is about 0.1 and that's on a very active forum no eaccelerator etc.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:33 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,678,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Depends, if you only have a base install should be only a few minutes. There is lot of built in tools available starting in 2007 with phpBB3 that helps handle modified boards too.

https://www.phpbb.com/mods/umil/

The latest version which was just released uses extensions but I haven't had any time to dig into it yet.
It's only been a couple of years since I abandoned phpBB, so it was definitely phpBB3. Once you added a theme or plugins, upgrading became a royal pain (and almost always broke something).

At that time themes and plugins were too deeply integrated into the forum code, and adding any of them meant breaking something, or having to edit files by hand on every upgrade.

Prior to phpBB we used SMF (with Joomla / Mambo integration), and even 8 or 10 years ago they had a single link auto upgrade regardless of the theme or plugins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or