U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:40 AM

125 posts, read 112,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
From the questions you're asking, it sounds as though you don't have much expertise in running internet forums. If you don't have a lot of technical skills, you may have to pay someone for tech help from time to time as well - especially if the site ever gets hacked. Just worth keeping in mind.
How much does that cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 09:45 AM

125 posts, read 112,966 times
I mostly want to spend as little money as possible. I doubt I will make much money. I'm wondering if someone hacks my future forum, especially if I'm using most free services (I'm assuming they won't have my credit info), could someone steal my id or steal money from me?

Old 11-09-2014, 10:08 AM

40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giveitome View Post
I'm wondering if someone hacks my future forum, especially if I'm using most free services...
Understand when you download something free like phpBB once you download the files they have nothing to do with it after that other than offering free support through their forum. Any CC acitivity would involve your web host and completely separate than your web site.

As far as hacking goes without blinking I can say phpBB is the most secure forum software there is other than custom one off builds. It has n incredible track record over the last 7 years that would make any developer envious.

http://secunia.com/advisories/produc...ask=statistics

Some of those are disputed or largely irrelevant, the major one was the possibility of someone reading a private forum they did not have access too. That came about when they added RSS feeds and was patched the day after it was released. In all honesty it probably affected no one because you would have to go outside of the normal bounds for applying forum permissions.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,631,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As far as hacking goes without blinking I can say phpBB is the most secure forum software there is other than custom one off builds. It has n incredible track record over the last 7 years that would make any developer envious.
I would qualify that first sentence with "If it is kept up to date..." This is a crucial point to make for the inexperienced OP, who may be unfamiliar with the vital importance of keeping up with patches on server software.

Unpatched PHPbb installs get hacked mercilessly. I saw this with the boards I used to manage and heard about it from other users of PHPbb. (Although I adminned the PHPbb boards, thankfully I wasn't in charge of maintaining the software.)

Old 11-09-2014, 12:04 PM

514 posts, read 447,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giveitome View Post
i've always wanted my own forum. I know it's pretty hard to actually make money as many of the forums I've been a part of have closed down or asked for donations. How much does it cost to run a forum per year? What's a good host?
It doesn't cost anything to run a forum if you already have web site hosting for a web page/domain.
Almost all web hosting packages today include unlimited bandwidth/traffic.

Best method of all is buy a domain name that is yours, annual fee runs about $12 or less depending on the registrar, hosting is widely available, cheap, and includes many mysql databases you would need for forums/blogs.
With hosting you have control over your domain with the control panel you access thru the web, in that you can create and delete everything you want, email boxes, email forwarders, forums, blogs, web pages, sub-domains etc etc

I use Namecheap as my registrar and I have my hosting package through them, I opted for their "reseller" package so I could host all of my domains, web sites etc that I want for one fee that's much lower than I was paying to host 3-4 domains and sites separately.
Annual hosting or semi annual is cheaper than paying by the month, considerably less in most cases.

For the forum software, there is free and licensed software available, I have always used the SMF (Simple machines forum) software for forums, and Wordpress for blogs.

One bit of caution though, setting up a forum is one thing, getting traffic and participants is a whole other ball of wax! Unless you have a specialty group or club and can get a bunch of the people in that to come in and start posting, it's extremely hard to get a forum started out of the blue, it can take months for a site or forum to get entrenched into Google and other people posting links to it.
These 5,000 or 50,000 or 150,000 member forums you see are few and far between, have been around for years and have a following.

As far as security for a forum goes, it's a freaking forum, if it gets hacked it's not your bank account life savings or Fort Knox, you make sure you take backups frequently and keep the software updated.

I do not allow people to join as members on my forum or blogs, they are for my own posting, removing that ability for the public to enter as members and post eliminates any security issue there in my case. Once you allow the public to have access to write to a page on your web site, that's one big avenue hackers gain entrance though.

Last edited by Sculptor; 11-09-2014 at 12:12 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It's also another reason to use good forum software, because the good stuff has the capability to incorporate ads baked right into the software. And if the companies that serve up those ads make changes on their end, the pro software will be updated quickly to account for those changes.
All the popular forums have ad modules/plugins. Many of the Opensource forums beat the pro software to market with these kinds of changes.... due to the number of developers working on them.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I would qualify that first sentence with "If it is kept up to date..."
Even an older installation of 3 should be secure, there is no known major exploits in any version of phpbb3 I'm aware of. That's not to say you shouldn't update...

Quote:
Unpatched PHPbb installs get hacked mercilessly.
phpBB2 was notoriously bad, not the case with 3.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-09-2014 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 12:45 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
I don't see the point of having a discussion about vB, phpbbx, etc. The point is that if you have a forum that's got a decent user base, and are using one of these, you're in a good place. Both are well supported and it doesn't make sense to switch to something else at this time.

However, there's no reason to go down the PHP rabbit hole if you're starting something new. There's a reason why Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud, WSJ, NYT, PayPal, etc. are moving far away from PHP. There are better solutions that use newer technologies. I mentioned one before. There are others.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
.... removing that ability for the public to enter as members and post eliminates any security issue there in my case.
Not necessarily, posting is not the only way scripts can be hacked and lets not forget an exploit can involve posting permissions themselves.

Quote:
As far as security for a forum goes, it's a freaking forum,
Which people may use to divulge sensitive information in something like a private message. The mere presence of people providing usernames, email addresses and passwords itself is security threat to them. That is how a lot of people get other accounts hacked, they use the same password for forum they might use for their email address, banking account etc. You can't prevent people from being stupid but you can't just ignore those implications either.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
However, there's no reason to go down the PHP rabbit hole if you're starting something new.
I'd be reluctant to use something new if it doesn't have a substantial amount of people using it. Software comes and goes all the time, there is always going to be conversion scripts for the major platforms but that may not be the case with something that doesn't have a large user base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or