U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 01:48 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd be reluctant to use something new if it doesn't have a substantial amount of people using it. Software comes and goes all the time, there is always going to be conversion scripts for the major platforms but that may not be the case with something that doesn't have a large user base.
The technology that I mentioned earlier, was NodeJS (to use with NodeBB). Which is new (as in 5 years old) and built on top of a widely used technology (v8 from Google Chrome Browsers). It's not as widely used as older technologies such as PHP and mainframes just because those technologies have been out for decades.

However, there's a lot of big shops using it and there's an enormous community of developers. There's a reason why Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Instagram, Google, PayPal, New York Times, eBay, Wall Street Journal, LiveFyre, SoundCloud, Voxer, Chess,Yahoo, Storify, New York Post, Washington Post, Microsoft and many others are choosing it over older technologies.

Of course, another, little older, and even more supported technology, would be Ruby on Rails which has plenty of forum options as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 02:33 PM

40,195 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The technology that I mentioned earlier, was NodeJS (to use with NodeBB). Which is new (as in 5 years old) and built on top of a widely used technology (v8 from Google Chrome Browsers). It's not as widely used as older technologies such as PHP and mainframes just because those technologies have been out for decades.

However, there's a lot of big shops using it and there's an enormous community of developers. There's a reason why Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Instagram, Google, PayPal, New York Times, eBay, Wall Street Journal, LiveFyre, SoundCloud, Voxer, Chess,Yahoo, Storify, New York Post, Washington Post, Microsoft and many others are choosing it over older technologies.

Of course, another, little older, and even more supported technology, would be Ruby on Rails which has plenty of forum options as well.
I'm not talking about this forum software vs. some other software or the backends they use. Even if it's the very best forum software there is if you have small user base and it fades into oblivion converting to something new is the issue. If phpBB ceases to exist tomorrow there is going to be a conversion script available for almost any forum I want to convert it too.

This used to come up a lot on phpBB.com where someone would be using a some obscure forum software, there would be no conversion path and they would either have to pay someone to write a conversion script, write it themselves or beg someone to write one.

Old 11-09-2014, 02:59 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm not talking about this forum software vs. some other software or the backends they use. Even if it's the very best forum software there is if you have small user base and it fades into oblivion converting to something new is the issue. If phpBB ceases to exist tomorrow there is going to be a conversion script available for almost any forum I want to convert it too.

This used to come up a lot on phpBB.com where someone would be using a some obscure forum software, there would be no conversion path and they would either have to pay someone to write a conversion script, write it themselves or beg someone to write one.
Right... but we're all talking about forum software with large user bases and large development communities. I'm not talking about something that nobody uses. This is true with all the popular forum software. There will be conversion utilities.

Why start off with older forum software when there is newer, well used and well supported software available... if you're starting from scratch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or