U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:56 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,925,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Look up copyright laws and read it.

YouTube knows what they are doing and
posting is a privilege ... not a public right.

I had read copyright law before creating the clips and I honestly thought that if I kept it very short and gave credit where credit was due it would be okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 02:11 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
... each clip lasting about 17- 19 seconds long ...
Too long. Keep it to about 3 seconds.

Quote:
... They should allow short clips as fair use ...
They do, as long as you're actually using them fairly. Posting excerpts of something doesn't constitute fair use. You have to "add" to it in some way. Explain something about it. Criticize it. Explain why it's right or wrong. TALK about it.

Quote:
I just do not understand why the simpsons owners would want them taken down? They were not used in a negative way but in a postive way for the show.
Because you used their intellectual property without their permission. Whether or not you were gushing over it or lambasting it is irrelevant. It's their property, not yours, and they get to control how it's used.

Quote:
I suppose if she had been reviewing the show or the episode or had criticized it and used the clip to show a problem she had with it then it would have stayed as fair use?
Possibly, but it would depend on the specific situation.

Keep in mind that YT has no obligation to publish or retain anything you submit. Their site; their rules. And on the issue of copyright infringement, they're not even going to consider whatever you have to say. They don't have time to investigate every complaint and make a judgement that could land them in hot legal water. If they get a takedown request, they will honor it. I guarantee it.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:15 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
They have the right to maybe so but did they lose useful free advertising by doing so?
No, one YouTube channel illegally posting copyrighted video clips isn't going to make a single bit of difference in their bottom line.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:25 PM

What I cannot understand is why some youtube clips from fans of their favorite scenes from movies and tv are still allowed to stay and some are taken down?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:37 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
Quote:
What I cannot understand is why some youtube clips from fans of their favorite scenes from movies and tv are still allowed to stay and some are taken down?
Most likely, the content owners haven't been made aware of it, and YTs automated systems didn't recognize them as infringing content.

There are also instances where the content owner allows the video, but basically takes control of it - ads start playing on it and they get the revenue generated. This happened to me once with a personal video I posted that had a commercial song as a soundtrack. They notified me about the infringement and let me know that they were going to start running ads with it and that the owners of the song would be getting whatever income they generated. Fine with me - I was just pleased that they didn't take down the video.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Most likely, the content owners haven't been made aware of it, and YTs automated systems didn't recognize them as infringing content.

There are also instances where the content owner allows the video, but basically takes control of it - ads start playing on it and they get the revenue generated. This happened to me once with a personal video I posted that had a commercial song as a soundtrack. They notified me about the infringement and let me know that they were going to start running ads with it and that the owners of the song would be getting whatever income they generated. Fine with me - I was just pleased that they didn't take down the video.
Yes that same thing happened to me once as well I wish the simpsons had decided to do that with my daughter's clips, but I also notice a lot of people put a disclaimer of one sort or another before the youtube video starts or written under the video saying it is not theirs and they appear to be allowed to keep it up and running.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:34 PM

40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Quote:
Instead of taking it down they have accepted an offer from YT for some of the ad revenue.

This also goes back to Harry's post, there is people that have filed a bunch of copyright claims for material they don't own in the hopes the uploader doesn't pursue it. Then they get to collect on the ad revenue.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:51 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhorsewoman
While you feel it is free advertising, it is definitely copyright infringement. UTube may have been contacted by the Simpsons owners and asked to remove the clips.
Copyright is only SO NO ONE CAN MAKE $$$$$$ FOR IT BESIDES THE AUTHOR!!!!!

This whole copyright thing IS BS AND MISHANDLED!!

Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Instead of taking it down they have accepted an offer from YT for some of the ad revenue.

This also goes back to Harry's post, there is people that have filed a bunch of copyright claims for material they don't own in the hopes the uploader doesn't pursue it. Then they get to collect on the ad revenue.
That should be illegal there should be a penalty for filing false claims , and if youtube doesnt crack down on that it will ruin youtube completely if it hasnt already . I read it is easy to fight but maybe people do not know that or they do not want to put their full name out there to do it and agree to be sued.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Copyright is only SO NO ONE CAN MAKE $$$$$$ FOR IT BESIDES THE AUTHOR!!!!!

This whole copyright thing IS BS AND MISHANDLED!!
Yes aren't they now allowed to extend copyright protection decades longer then they should be?

Opposing Copyright Extension, Protecting The Public Domain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or