U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 11:23 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,925,204 times

Advertisements

This happened months ago but I wanted to share an issue that has bothered me. One of my daughter's favorite shows was the simpsons (mostly the older episodes) and she wanted to share a few of her favorite moments for others to see on you tube. I created some clips of some funny scenes from some of her favorite simpsons episodes each clip lasting about 17- 19 seconds long or less with a detailed description of exactly which episode it was.

Well they got a pretty good response especially one clip that was liked by a youtube superstar and seemed to be enjoyed by a lot of people. All of a sudden You tube closed her account for copyright infringement.

These were only very short clips I think of them like free advertising for the simpsons show with cute funny moments that made people want to see the episode and the simpsons show in general and should not be considered copyright infringement .

My daughter was very disappointed . I think youtube got it wrong. They should allow short clips as fair use, I see nothing wrong with it. What do you think? Has you tube gone too far in banning clips of tv shows ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:27 AM

350 posts, read 379,576 times
While you feel it is free advertising, it is definitely copyright infringement. UTube may have been contacted by the Simpsons owners and asked to remove the clips.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:35 AM

I just do not understand why the simpsons owners would want them taken down? They were not used in a negative way but in a postive way for the show. I suppose if she had been reviewing the show or the episode or had criticized it and used the clip to show a problem she had with it then it would have stayed as fair use?

Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,958,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I just do not understand why the simpsons owners would want them taken down?
You are illegally abusing and profiting from their copyrights for free.

Because they are not making any money from your copying their sores of living,
and people are viewing it for free, and your benefit.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
You are illegally abusing and profiting from their copyrights for free.

Because they are not making any money from your copying their sores of living,
and people are viewing it for free, and your benefit.

If she posted it on youtube without trying to profit from it then it would be okay? And are you sure they are not making money from it if it makes more people interested in watching simpsons episodes ? Each clip had detailed episode decriptions so people interested in viewing the full episode could find it easily.

Last edited by vanguardisle; 11-21-2014 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-21-2014, 12:28 PM

18,517 posts, read 55,435,808 times
"I created some clips of some funny scenes from some of her favorite simpsons episodes each clip lasting about 17- 19 seconds long or less with a detailed description of exactly which episode it was."

What is described is NOT what most people would consider full copyright infringement. It DOES borderline fall under the category, but with the description and commentary, a short clip is much more likely to fall under "fair use." Without the fair use exemption, there could be no reviews of movies or books, and arguably the original intent of the law was to allow limited use of content without penalty.

You-tube policy is completely inconsistent. I once had one of my videos of an airport scene my father shot in 1940 with an 8mm camera claimed as "copyright infringement." The clip had no audible soundtrack but the empty track was there. One of the automated idiot-bots decided that it was a recording covered under copyright by some media company. It took MONTHS before I could get it corrected, and the only way I could was by ranting in comments until someone took notice.

The reality is that the current copyright law is outdated and impossible to fairly enforce. THIS is how business has to properly react to the changes that technology has brought on:
eMoviePoster.com - Vintage Movie Posters

No whinging over lost sales of buggy whips from a dead era, no attempt to make what is commonly done illegal in an attempt to save a cash cow that has died, just change to meet the market in the way that market capitalism is designed to work.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:30 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,001,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
If she posted it on youtube without trying to profit from it then it would be okay?
No. If you post copyrighted material without permission of the copyright holder they have the right to have it removed. YouTube did not get it wrong, your daughter was in the wrong, whether you think she was or not doesn't matter.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:31 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,958,449 times
Look up copyright laws and read it.

YouTube knows what they are doing and
posting is a privilege ... not a public right.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"I created some clips of some funny scenes from some of her favorite simpsons episodes each clip lasting about 17- 19 seconds long or less with a detailed description of exactly which episode it was."

What is described is NOT what most people would consider full copyright infringement. It DOES borderline fall under the category, but with the description and commentary, a short clip is much more likely to fall under "fair use." Without the fair use exemption, there could be no reviews of movies or books, and arguably the original intent of the law was to allow limited use of content without penalty.

You-tube policy is completely inconsistent. I once had one of my videos of an airport scene my father shot in 1940 with an 8mm camera claimed as "copyright infringement." The clip had no audible soundtrack but the empty track was there. One of the automated idiot-bots decided that it was a recording covered under copyright by some media company. It took MONTHS before I could get it corrected, and the only way I could was by ranting in comments until someone took notice.

The reality is that the current copyright law is outdated and impossible to fairly enforce. THIS is how business has to properly react to the changes that technology has brought on:
eMoviePoster.com - Vintage Movie Posters

No whinging over lost sales of buggy whips from a dead era, no attempt to make what is commonly done illegal in an attempt to save a cash cow that has died, just change to meet the market in the way that market capitalism is designed to work.
I agree that youtube often makes copyright mistakes and definately did so in your case. I often think the website is going downhill because of if, plus some of these companies are so overzealous in protecting their copyrights that they forget they are fighting a losing battle. Better to go with the flow and find a way to make it work for them and not against them.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No. If you post copyrighted material without permission of the copyright holder they have the right to have it removed. YouTube did not get it wrong, your daughter was in the wrong, whether you think she was or not doesn't matter.

They have the right to maybe so but did they lose useful free advertising by doing so? When her clips were taken down after only a couple of months one had already reached over 70,000 views . I would be willing to bet that may of those people watching the clip had never seen a simpson's episode or were not big fans and may have come away with more interest in the show afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or