U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:08 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's true, those news outlet sites had really terrible trolls. Huffington is still decent, but they have someone watching and deleting obnoxious troll posts.
WSJ has a good commenting as well with minimal trolls... probably the best. Just stay out of the politics articles because those can get heated... but that's true of every site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 10:10 PM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,099,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's true, those news outlet sites had really terrible trolls. Huffington is still decent, but they have someone watching and deleting obnoxious troll posts.
I know the NY Post got rid of their comment section

Old 11-23-2014, 04:19 PM

2,581 posts, read 2,763,814 times
This means that I will no longer click on titles that are obviously click-bait titles. The only reason to click on such nonsense was to skip the no-information article in order to read the comments.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:09 PM

6,473 posts, read 14,162,929 times
Well as an online comment user, I knew it was too good to last:

1. Many of us have more fun commenting than reading the story. Sometimes we'd not even read the story. This is bad for the sites because some of the stories were just propaganda or thinly-veiled advertising for some good or service.

2. We point out mistakes. And sometimes insult the writer. Sometimes point out factual errors. Ha ha ha Sometimes the comment section is way better than the story, especially when knowledgeable people comment about the topic.

3. Racists and Jerks - People love to put racist or mean things in the comments. I'm not sure if we are doing good by hiding this part of society, though. If we are all surrounded by anti-semites, racists and xenophobes...don't you want to know?

4. Foreigners Laugh At Us - There are foreign websites that translate US comments into their language. Then they judge the country based on what the commenters have to say. Some of the most vocal commenters tend to ill informed, very racist or uneducated. Or crazy. Just IMHO. Many people in the world (prior to internet) thought we were well-educated, open minded and rich. Eye opener for them.

5. Very Political - The people who dislike the president--much like the ones who disliked former president Bush--are REALLY motivated. They will use any story to insult the president, his wife and kids and even Oprah LOL because she supported him. I'm sure moderators have a hard time keeping a lid on these types of comments.

So basically comments were too much fun for the unwashed masses. They were interesting to read but it is hard to insert ads in the comment section. Apparently nobody on those sites wants to see what the internet using public really thinks, either.

Also commenting--like Farcebook--is an easy way for uneducated people to access the internet. So the usage is high. Managing the volume of comments costs money, and these sites are not motivated to do that. They can't figure out a way to leverage comments to place their dumb ads. These are in the "news stories" which many of us obviously weren't reading.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:33 PM

16,980 posts, read 17,141,026 times
Huffingtonpost went to Facebook as their discussion medium. LOL, was it supposed to make things more civilized and less trollish?????????????????

Now the posts over there are mainly left-wingers throwing totally bombastic insults and making totally ridiculous charges/statements.

I think it was better the old way.....with the site hosting the discussion.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:06 PM

980 posts, read 595,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Sites such as Popular Science, Re/Code, GizModo many others for the most part aren't in the known for hiding information.
Right... they just eliminate comment sections altogether: A Note to Re/code Readers | Re/code

Old 12-09-2014, 11:55 AM

187 posts, read 158,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It is indeed true. You completely failed at reading the terms of service. You must use your real name.

https://www.facebook.com/help/112146705538576

Not true

Facebook changes real-name policy, allows aliases | Reuters

Old 12-13-2014, 11:33 PM

3,417 posts, read 1,949,873 times
I'm glad I don't pay attention to the news but it seems like more sites do that now than they used to. It's very stupid. If I owned a site I would allow all comments. Depending on the topic, if it got too bad then I would block certain comments but for the most part what happened to freedom of speech? If you have to block what some rude person says, then you're too sensitive and would probably benefit from some therapy. Plus if they're blocked on one site, they'll just haul their crap somewhere else.
I really hope that this requirement of switching to Facebook doesn't carry on too many other sites. What if I don't like Facebook and want to stay anonymous? It's like assuming that everyone who doesn't like Facebook is a malicious person.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:10 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,649,483 times
Quote:
Plus if they're blocked on one site, they'll just haul their crap somewhere else.
Well that is typically the webmasters intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I'm glad I don't pay attention to the news but it seems like more sites do that now than they used to. It's very stupid. If I owned a site I would allow all comments. Depending on the topic, if it got too bad then I would block certain comments but for the most part what happened to freedom of speech? If you have to block what some rude person says, then you're too sensitive and would probably benefit from some therapy
I don't believe "Freedom of Speech" doesn't applies well to the net. A person can't just say(type) what they want on some sites, and expect to get away with it. Of course they aren't going to jail. But typically you are on that webmasters site, he can make the choice to kick a person off.(aka ban them, censor their comments). They can dictate what is allowed to be posted.

Quote:
I really hope that this requirement of switching to Facebook doesn't carry on too many other sites. What if I don't like Facebook and want to stay anonymous? It's like assuming that everyone who doesn't like Facebook is a malicious person.
I'm someone who wants to dignified discussions on the internet regardless of anonymity.
Because a person wants to be anonymous doesn't mean a person should type malicious, ignorant things, or troll and ruin it for everyone else.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 12-14-2014 at 09:57 PM..

Old 12-15-2014, 11:05 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
Everytime I see a story and then read comments :I wished I hadn't. I now do not read them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or