Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:01 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times

Advertisements

Online comments are being phased out - CNN.com

Looks like trolls are still winning. More sites are dropping comment sections.
In my opinion there wasn't much high quality debate anyways.
Quote:
The announcement was just the latest in a recent wave of prominent websites removing or significantly scaling back their comment sections. Reuters, Popular Science and the Chicago Sun-Times have recently nixed comments.
Fairly or not, comment forums have gained a reputation as a haven for Internet trolls. Several of the sites that have banned comments noted the lack of civility in their decisions.

"As the news arm of a 141-year-old science and technology magazine, we are as committed to fostering lively, intellectual debate as we are to spreading the word of science far and wide," read a Popular Science post from last September. "The problem is when trolls and spambots overwhelm the former, diminishing our ability to do the latter."
Like Re/code, Reuters said social media was a factor when deciding to shut down most of its comments this month.
Most sites will continue discussion will continue on Social Media sites.

CNN was famous for it's comment section. Unmoderated, filled with hate, ignorance etc. That was all before Ferguson. (After Ferguson they seemed to have given up on it). The only section they have left open was Cnnmoney.

I think some sites should have did what Espn did, that being require a facebook account to comment.. People whined about initially, but it cut trolling by a noticeable amount in my opinion. It seems sites that require a Facebook, Google+ account, to comment have less problems with trolls.

Sure people can probably make a fake facebook account to troll, but if one is going go through that effort to troll/spam well maybe they will think about it first.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 11-21-2014 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 02:37 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
I usually like comments sections under news articles to get an idea of people's opinions on an issue . I guess their disappearance makes websites like city data more useful and important.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:07 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I miss the comments on some sites. Trolls have ruined so much. Forums like C-D are my favorite, though. Facebook = ugh!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:54 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88
Yes they dont like the truth being posted. Alot of people are WAKING UP and posting opinions THEY DONT WANT POSTED!! (Its mainstream garbage so its to be expected)

Old 11-22-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes they dont like the truth being posted. Alot of people are WAKING UP and posting opinions THEY DONT WANT POSTED!! (Its mainstream garbage so its to be expected)
Waking up from what?
When I see this argument, I think this means:A person posted or wants to post something "ignorant." And the Webmaster deletes the comments, or wont allow them.

Sites such as Popular Science, Re/Code, GizModo many others for the most part aren't in the known for hiding information.

The problem on these sites was not only trolls being attention w hores and posting something insanely random, but also it seems people are unable to disagree with it turning into a war, with people insulting everything about each other possible.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 11-22-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I miss the comments on some sites. Trolls have ruined so much. Forums like C-D are my favorite, though. Facebook = ugh!
Yep.
I'm seeing some forums switch to require, using Twitter, Facebook accounts to post.

City-Data, seems to do a good job handling trolls so maybe that switch wont happen here anytime soon.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Waking up from what?
When I see this argument, I think this means:A person posted or wants to post something "ignorant." And the Webmaster deletes the comments, or wont allow them.

Sites such as Popular Science, Re/Code, GizModo many others for the most part aren't in the known for hiding information.

The problem on these sites was not only trolls being attention w hores and posting something insanely random, but also it seems people are unable to disagree with it turning into a war, with people insulting everything about each other possible.
That's why I like sites like WSJD (the replacement site for AllThingsD). You can filter out unpaid users. Paid users don't troll as much.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:25 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
The only site I see requiring you to have a Facebook account to post is ESPN.COM

Old 11-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
The only site I see requiring you to have a Facebook account to post is ESPN.COM
And it should be that way. The comments section on ESPN was dreadful when it was completely anonymous.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
And it should be that way. The comments section on ESPN was dreadful when it was completely anonymous.
I would prefer that it not be linked to facebook. Rather, make ESPN have a paywall and require you to be a subscriber to comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet