Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:23 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,360 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right area for this post but...

I am OLD and I have facebook. It seems in the last week something peculiar has happened on facebook. Suddenly I am getting the "people you may know" that is suggesting people that I have met OLD and one I met in person at ballroom dance.
I have their phone number in my smart phone but in some cases I didn't even list them as a contact, and in a few cases I didn't even know the person last name... just first name. After a brief text session we realized that we were not compatible and did not contact any longer... and now they are being suggested as a facebook friend... first AND LAST NAME.

There is even a couple that I deleted their phone numbers from my phone...

My thought is if I am getting their page as suggestion, most likely they are getting mine as well.

Is this something new? Is facebook now tracking people strictly thru cell phone numbers??? How can this be???

It is distressing because my last name was something I reserved for people who I deemed as balanced based on conversations over a course of days/weeks. There have been a few that after one talk on phone I realize that they are not for me.

Last name is something I withhold until I feel comfortable... WELL NOT ANYMORE thanks for FACEBOOK!!

Is there something I am missing in my privacy settings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 12:32 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,798 times
You know that user agreement that nobody ever reads and clicks "I agree" to? Yeah, you should probably start there...

Old 12-10-2014, 12:44 PM

I know about the user agreement
what I am alarmed with is how does facebook know the person's last name when I never knew it to begin with?????

Old 12-10-2014, 12:51 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
what I am alarmed with is how does facebook know the person's last name when I never knew it to begin with?????
Because they told Facebook their last name and never told you.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:02 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
the people you may know is an an amalgamation of information from you and others in your network pooled.
While you may have settings enabled to prevent people from seeing specifics, the others in your network may not.

The end result is what you are speaking of

Last edited by rego00123; 12-10-2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-10-2014, 01:17 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
Are you using the app on your phone? If so, I'd assume it's matching up the phone numbers... you enter in your phone number to use the app and so does another person. Then you text that person and since you both have FB accounts associated with your numbers, *bam*, it matches you as "someone you may know."

I am just guessing though.

I am also guessing there is a way to change the privacy settings to avoid it.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Oh so it maybe that I am getting their pages because they have not set it to restricted to friends only, but since I have enabled that restriction, they may well not be getting my page as suggestion??

Old 12-10-2014, 01:21 PM

Jillabean, yes I do use the app. I will delete if it is going thru my contacts and tracking cell phone numbers.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:23 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
It doesn't matter anymore. They found your friends, and they match you with them and their friends, and friends of their friends....

You can disable this feature, but that only means that you will not see it anymore. Your friends and their friends will.
Here how to disable it:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8554982_disa...uggestion.html

Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It doesn't matter anymore. They found your friends, and they match you with them and their friends, and friends of their friends....

too much!! and when I google my name, I find my house address and landline phone number.

Really too much. If I am unlisted will that at least stop me from being found for absolutely free??

I don't know why I am suddenly feeling a bit paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet