U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 11:28 AM

9,058 posts, read 6,391,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! You have been infected with one of the various adware programs. The usual applies - malwarebytes, yada yada...
I get that not responding script nonsense periodically and I don't believe I'm infected with anything. If I am, Malwarebytes doesn't find it and I scan regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
For Firefox, you can go to about:config and change this entry:

dom.max_script_run_time;2

As you can see, I have it set to 2 seconds. I think the default is 20 seconds. That causes poorly written scripts to lock up the browser.
I believe it's much more likely something like this^. Can you please elaborate on exactly where this command is? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 12:49 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I get that not responding script nonsense periodically and I don't believe I'm infected with anything.
Harry never said you had an infection, he was replying in reference to this specific quote from the OP, not the non responding script issue.

"And while I am laying out my computer issues, what the heck causes websites to show excessively bolded keywords within the content (very sensitive, you hover anywhere near them and a link opens with a vengeance. Sometimes more than one."

Old 12-26-2014, 12:52 PM

2,763 posts, read 3,061,257 times
Yahoo (new) email is jus loaded with 'long running scripts'...

Old 12-26-2014, 05:23 PM

1,085 posts, read 829,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I get that not responding script nonsense periodically and I don't believe I'm infected with anything. If I am, Malwarebytes doesn't find it and I scan regularly.

I believe it's much more likely something like this^. Can you please elaborate on exactly where this command is? Thanks.
For Firefox, type about:config in the address bar. The settings are in alphabetical order.

When you make a change from the default setting, the line then becomes bold font, and is labeled user set instead of default.

Old 12-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
For Firefox, type about:config in the address bar. The settings are in alphabetical order.

When you make a change from the default setting, the line then becomes bold font, and is labeled user set instead of default.
Thank you. I made the change and will watch closely for impact.

My default was 10, btw, on Firefox 13.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:46 PM

747 posts, read 1,837,305 times
I too will be using mshultz's suggestion...I can switch back and forth between IE and Firefox at will...

(My husband seems to like Firefox better. So he recommends it.)

I too have given up on Yahoo mail cause it has been such a mess lately, and just retrieve everything from Gmail these days. I'm happy so far. Not so much clutter, or excess spam, and I like how email is sorted into the genres of "general messages" "social media" and I forgot the other one. Much less time spent weeding out this and that.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:

I think I may have just seen that change work for the better. Went to a page with a big story about how Harbaugh may be going to Michigan - full of ads and other links. The page basically froze and was looking like the same old problem, but I clicked to close it (just that tab) and it was gone immediately.

Thanks again for that tip!

Old 12-27-2014, 04:56 PM

Sorry, scratch that commentary I made just a few minutes ago. Because I went to another page, it locked up all tabs in Firefox, and I waited....for the same old long running script window.

Back to square 1.

Edit: The thanks for trying still stands, of course

Old 12-27-2014, 06:46 PM

18,526 posts, read 55,444,914 times
If you use no-script as a Firefox add-on, as Tek suggested, you get to choose which scripts you allow to run. There is a reason most of us use Ad-block plus as well. In addition to blocking ads, it also blocks much of the malware like Gator or what ever is making those hot links.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:57 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times
A bit of a side trip here. If any of you do troubleshooting for DirecTV customers and they complain that the app won't work on their phone or tablet, it won't display current show listing for example, then remove Adblock and test again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or