Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:19 AM

752 posts, read 2,086,393 times

Advertisements

This:

"(Such and such)is not responding due to a long-running script" To the right "recover webpage" and "cancel" Either one I click on, freeze-up, choppy loading and re-loading.

In the middle of the page, an alert message that says "(such and such) is not responding...Windows is checking for a solution to the problem" (yeah, right, a solution; it hasn't happened yet.)

Well, what in the h-e double-hockey sticks is causing these "long-running scripts" ?? This is enough to make the most patient of saints want to tear your hair out, or pick up a sledgehammer and smash the screen!!!

And it's funny that some of these are very accessible, harmless, common websites, like Ebay.

I've google-d "what causes long-running website scripts?" One article said that excessive add-ons can be a problem; as the unused add-ons add clutter and excess bandwidth causing one's system to crash. So I went to my "manage add-on's" tab, did some checking around, I did see some that looked unnecessary and so I disabled al the unfamiliar ones. I'm STILL having this problem.

And while I am laying out my computer issues, what the heck causes websites to show excessively bolded keywords within the content (very sensitive, you hover anywhere near them and a link opens with a vengeance. Sometimes more than one. GRRR

I don't think anti-virus protection is the issue here, if anyone asks, I am using Microsoft Security Essentials.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows some solutions to this techie dysfunction of the first magnitude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 11:41 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
LOL! You have been infected with one of the various adware programs. The usual applies - malwarebytes, yada yada...

Old 12-20-2014, 12:39 AM

So Microsoft Security Essentials does not handle adware?

I think I have been duped.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:22 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
It didn't in your case. Not so sure about being "duped." Even the Titanic sank. Flaws can happen despite best intentions.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:54 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
If your browser is compatible use NoScript it might stop the errors.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:22 PM

It looks like it does well with Firefox...currently I use IE, but sometimes Firefox too...

Old 12-21-2014, 05:54 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,052,785 times
For Firefox, you can go to about:config and change this entry:

dom.max_script_run_time;2

As you can see, I have it set to 2 seconds. I think the default is 20 seconds. That causes poorly written scripts to lock up the browser.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:03 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
LOL! You have been infected with one of the various adware programs. The usual applies - malwarebytes, yada yada...
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
So Microsoft Security Essentials does not handle adware?

I think I have been duped.

I can't think of one AV app that handles malware very well, some don't even handle viruses/trojans very well. Having an AV app in no way will prevent your PC from getting infected.

Antivirus is Dead: Long Live Antivirus! — Krebs on Security

Old 12-23-2014, 02:24 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
I swapped to Opera on my desktop computer and couldn't be happier. Firefox and Internet Explorer were always having errors, and I got the "Stop script" message with Firefox. I like Opera more anyway because it has the "speed dial" on the home screen where I can click on websites I use most. Between the speed dial and the bookmarks tool bar, I have just about every website I use one click away.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:57 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I swapped to Opera on my desktop computer and couldn't be happier. Firefox and Internet Explorer were always having errors, and I got the "Stop script" message with Firefox. I like Opera more anyway because it has the "speed dial" on the home screen where I can click on websites I use most. Between the speed dial and the bookmarks tool bar, I have just about every website I use one click away.
Opera came up with the speed dial first, but other browsers now have it too. I used to use Opera exclusively, but since most of its features were copied into Firefox and Chrome, I now use Firefox. I have fewer errors than Opera. I still think you had a browser add on that was set to block scripts and ask you what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet