U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times

Advertisements

Malware isn't a virus. Two completely different beasts. Saying Malwarebytes isn't a good program because it didn't remove a virus is like saying that black isn't a good color because it isn't white.

Keep using Malwarebytes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 09:16 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
Exactly what it says in its name. No virus mentioned at all. Google malware. If you know then why did you expect it to catch a virus or eliminate it. Makes no sense.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:32 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,819,717 times
I like Malware, OP has an older version.

In that version, I think there are 2 different functions. One will quarantine a virus and the other one that will delete it. I think what happened here is that a virus was quarantined into a temp file and then the use was asked to delete it.

Saying that some viruses get through with malware, some get through with any anti-virus software. It's just the nature of the beast.

The problem with Malware, is that I am a computer programmer and it get's in the way sometimes. Sometimes useful programs that I install get blocked by it.

I like Malware over it's competitors because it blocks allot of internet attacks, it does not consume allot of resources and it's intrusive in what I am trying to do (meaning it does not get in the way as much).

I think that in choosing a antivirus software one has to asses the needs to what products are being offered.
Since I do allot online browsing and reading my technical stuff, I need my browser protected most of all. I don't need my email 'protected" it's annoying and slows me down, I know not to open untrusted files. I have other protection from hackers.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:24 PM

4,366 posts, read 3,645,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Malware isn't a virus. Two completely different beasts. Saying Malwarebytes isn't a good program because it didn't remove a virus is like saying that black isn't a good color because it isn't white.

Keep using Malwarebytes.
Okay, I thought the adware that gets put on computers was the result of a virus, though. It sounds like you are saying that to remove the bad programs completely, you need two different pieces of software, one that removes the virus and another that removes the other bad programs associated with it. Is this correct?

Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Okay, I thought the adware that gets put on computers was the result of a virus, though. It sounds like you are saying that to remove the bad programs completely, you need two different pieces of software, one that removes the virus and another that removes the other bad programs associated with it. Is this correct?
You should have an antivirus app and an anti malware app, malware is a general term to describe a number of types of infections. A virus has specific qualities and is actually very rare these days, but they layperson uses the term to describe anything that might be wrong with their computer.

A virus is malware, but very little malware are viruses, that chance that you had a virus is very slim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet