U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:58 AM
FBJ

39,614 posts, read 51,099,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
That defeats the purpose on twitter, linkedin, and Google+ which are for professional relationships.

I am just going to avoid opinion pieces on these all together.
We are not talking about professional accounts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 12:22 AM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times
Always respond as if you are talking to your boss.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:48 AM

20,515 posts, read 20,511,864 times
Best rule of thumb is that if there is anyone that you wouldn't want to see it, don't put it in print.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:04 AM

34,293 posts, read 59,614,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yep.

"Free speech?" Sure. It is an inalienable right, granted at your creation. No one can take that away. Indulge as desired. Be courageous, while being cognizant that there may be consequences to gratuitous free speech indulgence that aggravates or embarrasses people. You made that bargain when you went on the payroll.

"Free employment?" No one has that assurance. Two completely unrelated concepts.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:56 AM

4,584 posts, read 8,194,016 times
Quote:
I am not a big fan of Social Media, which is strange to a lot of people because I work as a "Cloud Architect" developing these services. I prefer a private life and have managed to keep it that way for 20+ years in my career. However, I have become pressured to start using Twitter, Linkedin and Google+ as method to share information in a timely matter with other professionals.

I have to say I am not comfortable with it. I am a very honest person and state my opinion openly... I feel like this is going to get me in trouble at work with Social media.

Are there any lines/protective laws to what I can post about and not get fired?

For example, I **HATE** the name of our new software product...so much that I almost posted about it on Twitter under my personal account. But I stopped myself because I really believe it could get back to the CEO as bad press... and I could possibly be held responsible. It's a delicate balance and again I am not really comfortable with it.

Social media free speech rights complicated for workers

Anyone else dealing with this? I would love to get my name out there as a Subject Matter Expert in the field, but liability is very high for me.
Social media is just a tool. How you use it is a different story. Your ability/inability to use it appropriately has nothing to do with the quality/effectiveness of the tool.

If you're being asked to utilize these tool for professional purposes, then simply leave out your personal information, opinions, etc. If you can't refrain from doing that, that's on you, not your employer.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:24 PM

9,353 posts, read 16,134,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Social media is just a tool. How you use it is a different story. Your ability/inability to use it appropriately has nothing to do with the quality/effectiveness of the tool.

If you're being asked to utilize these tool for professional purposes, then simply leave out your personal information, opinions, etc. If you can't refrain from doing that, that's on you, not your employer.
It's about finding that line of what is too strong of an opinion that I am asking about. I think for now I am going to keep things very light and just stay technical.

There was a topic on Twitter about our new product name, many people think it is ambiguous and easily misinterpreted of what the product does. Some guys I know from the company were commenting and I almost did as well. Glad I didn't though because I can see being reprimanded.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:26 PM

9,353 posts, read 16,134,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Sound advice, this is how I will treat it.

I just think it is intrusive on personal rights that what you say on social media on your own time, can actually get you fired.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:46 PM
FBJ

Quote:

I just think it is intrusive on personal rights that what you say on social media on your own time, can actually get you fired.
Not if you don't use your real name and or a photo of yourself

Old 01-01-2015, 09:36 AM

4,584 posts, read 8,194,016 times
Quote:
It's about finding that line of what is too strong of an opinion that I am asking about. I think for now I am going to keep things very light and just stay technical.

There was a topic on Twitter about our new product name, many people think it is ambiguous and easily misinterpreted of what the product does. Some guys I know from the company were commenting and I almost did as well. Glad I didn't though because I can see being reprimanded.
Just so I understand - so basically you are part of the team that manages/monitors your company's twitter feed. And in this example, you're seeing consumers/clients that posts things like "your new product name is lame" or something to that effect?

Regardless of how you personally feel, you are representing your employers on that feed. So yes, you would avoid expressing your personal opinion (and honestly, there should be a social media policy that provides guidance on this). If you are not sure how to respond (or if it even warrants a response) you should talk to your manager/team lead.

Quote:

You have every right to say whatever you want on your own time. That said, your employer has every right to fire you if they feel the relationship is no longer beneficial (outside of unlawful reasons). In other words, they are not suppressing your right to post on social media, but exercising theirs to protect their intellectual property / reputation.

Every action has a consequence.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:10 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Just so I understand - so basically you are part of the team that manages/monitors your company's twitter feed. And in this example, you're seeing consumers/clients that posts things like "your new product name is lame" or something to that effect?

Regardless of how you personally feel, you are representing your employers on that feed. So yes, you would avoid expressing your personal opinion (and honestly, there should be a social media policy that provides guidance on this). If you are not sure how to respond (or if it even warrants a response) you should talk to your manager/team lead.

You have every right to say whatever you want on your own time. That said, your employer has every right to fire you if they feel the relationship is no longer beneficial (outside of unlawful reasons). In other words, they are not suppressing your right to post on social media, but exercising theirs to protect their intellectual property / reputation.

Every action has a consequence.

How do they find out? Do these people include in their facebook profile where they work and have coworkers have Facebook friends?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or