U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:59 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,705,717 times

Advertisements

The site itself is honestly not that horrid.

The logo is bad. Really bad. Like 1990s Geocities bad.

Stop the top from resizing as people scroll down. It's just distracting.

Also, switch from serif fonts. I like them as much as the next guy, but the unfortunate reality is that serif fonts on an otherwise modern looking web page with only short bits of content scream "developer doesn't know CSS."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:26 AM

4,929 posts, read 4,212,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I did have an online component in mind for students who request distance tutoring, but I did not intend it to be the focus of my whole business. Right now, I'm more or less just experimenting with bells and whistles and trying to make the site as user-friendly as possible. I guess I could hire a professional to do the site and may do that as a last resort if I really can't turn it into anything, but for now I thought I might want to try my hand at it myself and pick up a few new skills.
That seems to be the only thing you are focused on..the virtual classroom, which to me means online tutoring. Do you have a location where you are located locally to meet with students? Do you have the proper insurance coverage for this?

Speaking as a part time tutor, I contend that one on one or small group tutoring in person far exceeds online tutoring. Also, the best way to obtain customers is by word of mouth and by proven success.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:34 AM

13,889 posts, read 14,936,596 times
the site isn't all that bad. I think your photo of your name and the brain behind it is out of focus looking and not attractive at all. I also have a hard time with the moving pictures, it makes everything look busy. why not make just a straight forward site. you really don't need a bunch of stuff happening, just information. have you tried to change the background color? the white does nothing for me. BTW the look of a site is subjective, ask 20 people if it looks good and you will have 20 different answers.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:28 PM

4,366 posts, read 3,645,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the site isn't all that bad. I think your photo of your name and the brain behind it is out of focus looking and not attractive at all. I also have a hard time with the moving pictures, it makes everything look busy. why not make just a straight forward site. you really don't need a bunch of stuff happening, just information. have you tried to change the background color? the white does nothing for me. BTW the look of a site is subjective, ask 20 people if it looks good and you will have 20 different answers.
Thanks. Should I maybe use a simple text logo created in Photoshop instead? Yes, but there are some things people can agree on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or