Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:33 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Asking people to leave comments to request sessions seems like a recipe for failure. Who in their right mind is going to leave a personal message to the owner in a publicly viewable comments section?

A simple contact form isn't that hard.

As for your actual service, there's nothing on your web site to convince me this is anything more than some completely untested idea you got from watching TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 01:03 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Go to http://www.webproworld.com/webmaster...ogo-For-Review and submit your website.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:31 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well, I'm at least finding examples of how NOT to start a website. Could one of you moderators please delete the link I posted? I think I seriously need to clean up my site.I'm sorry for posting such a humiliating monstrosity...
For goodness sake...I know I have said before you need help, you make bad decisions on your own and you need someone to guide you. What in God's name do you discuss with your counselor? Go to the career counseling office, to your counselor, tell them you have Aspergers and are floundering in your career and chose the wrong career and ask them to HELP you. You cannot do this alone, you need someone who can guide you to a career that fits your strengths and abilities as they currently are and to help you figure out how to get out of the mess you're in. You have TONS of resources available to you yet you choose to flounder. Just remember you are choosing that. There is NOT NOW nor ever going to be some magical solution, any solution is only going to be found via your learning how to ask for assistance and admitting your mistakes to those who can help correct them.

Old 12-28-2014, 02:53 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Asking people to leave comments to request sessions seems like a recipe for failure. Who in their right mind is going to leave a personal message to the owner in a publicly viewable comments section?

A simple contact form isn't that hard.

As for your actual service, there's nothing on your web site to convince me this is anything more than some completely untested idea you got from watching TV.
I had a comments form, but it showed my email address, and I tried to remove most, hopefully all, of my personal information before posting anything here, but I did have a contact form right below the "pay" button.

The website was intended to give my business more visibility, but word-of-mouth was the way I had intended to get customers. I just started this project, so I'm pretty sure the advertising isn't very convincing. I just wanted information on the layout. Is the site visually appealing? Does it look like something of professional quality?

Old 12-28-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
For goodness sake...I know I have said before you need help, you make bad decisions on your own and you need someone to guide you. What in God's name do you discuss with your counselor? Go to the career counseling office, to your counselor, tell them you have Aspergers and are floundering in your career and chose the wrong career and ask them to HELP you. You cannot do this alone, you need someone who can guide you to a career that fits your strengths and abilities as they currently are and to help you figure out how to get out of the mess you're in. You have TONS of resources available to you yet you choose to flounder. Just remember you are choosing that. There is NOT NOW nor ever going to be some magical solution, any solution is only going to be found via your learning how to ask for assistance and admitting your mistakes to those who can help correct them.
I was just asking about the layout of my site and got quite nervous when I was informed that I still had personal information on my site. That's why I requested that it be deleted. I'm sorry if you and others believe I overreacted.

Thank you for the other advice as well.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I am sorry, but to me it is not professional at all. It is much too casual. You don't say "Hi! I'm Michelle" nor do you say "Bingo, it's as easy as that!" You provide no statistics or studies to prove your methods work. You don't say you got the idea for a specific teaching method by watching a TV show, even if you did. You sound like you're talking to friends, you don't come off as professional the way you wrote this IMO. You also can't say "One of our dedicated tutors" if it's only you.

Here are some professional virtual tutoring websites, also known as your competition, take a look:
Growingstars.com

Live, Online Tutoring | Smarthinking, Inc.

If you were looking for a tutor for your child, would you choose yours or one of these based on website and content?

My suggestion: Get a job at one of these virtual teaching companies rather than start your own. No one is going to hire you to tutor their kid with only sub experience, and your prices are about the same as these truly professional places where the instructors have years of experience. Really theirs are a better deal, because they also include homework help, assessment testing, an education case manager, and other extras with their tutoring packages. Getting a job with one could be perfect for you, you get a teaching job and you do not have to manage a classroom. Work for them and get experience under your belt, 3 years at least, then you can open your own.

As an aside, you can't just start a business without getting an LLC or something similar, getting a Federal tax ID for the business, etc. Do you have knowledge of small business accounting and paying taxes for a business?

Here's the application link for tutoring jobs with the second company I listed:https://careers-smarthinking.icims.c...Redirect=false but there are probably dozens of them.
This is all very good advice. Thank you, but right now there is no tutoring business, no paying customers. I just wanted to know about the layout of my website. Thank you for letting me know that my language was too casual. I erased most of the info sections and am planning to rewrite them eventually, maybe after I have a better idea of what I want to do and can do. Yes, thank you for reminding me about the hundreds or thousands of online and in-person tutoring companies that vie for people's business. I didn't really intend this to be an online tutoring company, though. I was just thinking about having a way for people to contact me besides calling. As for working for the other tutoring companies, they are glutted. People just like me, teachers looking for their first job, are more than happy to take those kinds of positions when they are open.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:19 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
This is all very good advice. Thank you, but right now there is no tutoring business, no paying customers. I just wanted to know about the layout of my website. Thank you for letting me know that my language was too casual. I erased most of the info sections and am planning to rewrite them eventually, maybe after I have a better idea of what I want to do and can do. Yes, thank you for reminding me about the hundreds or thousands of online and in-person tutoring companies that vie for people's business. I didn't really intend this to be an online tutoring company, though. I was just thinking about having a way for people to contact me besides calling. As for working for the other tutoring companies, they are glutted. People just like me, teachers looking for their first job, are more than happy to take those kinds of positions when they are open.
Than why does it say "one of our dedicated tutors", have a price list for and paypal link to pay for tutoring sessions in what your website calls your 'virtual classroom'?

Old 12-28-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Than why does it say "one of our dedicated tutors", have a price list for and paypal link to pay for tutoring sessions in what your website calls your 'virtual classroom'?
I did have an online component in mind for students who request distance tutoring, but I did not intend it to be the focus of my whole business. Right now, I'm more or less just experimenting with bells and whistles and trying to make the site as user-friendly as possible. I guess I could hire a professional to do the site and may do that as a last resort if I really can't turn it into anything, but for now I thought I might want to try my hand at it myself and pick up a few new skills.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Okay, as far as content I cleaned the site of personal information and bad advertising. How does it look? What should I do to improve it? I offer my apologies for freaking out earlier.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:32 PM

Moderators, I apologize for my earlier message requesting that my link be deleted. I've gotten lots of helpful feedback from everyone. I was expecting to get flames, especially after I accidentally left my picture up. I see no reason to have it deleted now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet