U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:20 PM

4,366 posts, read 3,645,763 times

Advertisements

I launched a website for my tutoring business, but I don't think it really looks that professional. I've let my family view it, and they think it is okay. I've got a lot of bells and whistles, but I think something is lacking on the formatting. I could include a link to it, but it has a little bit of personal information, like my name, picture, and contact information; hey, my customers have to be able to find me. I didn't use HTML to build it from scratch but instead used a template I found on WordPress. As far as pre-made website templates go, this one has impressed me, but I feel like I would have a truly professional looking website if I could just iron out a few small kinks. Right now, though, it is fully operational and has all of the features I think I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:10 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times
How is anyone supposed to recommended anything without seeing the website?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How is anyone supposed to recommended anything without seeing the website?
Let me edit it for my personal information and then post a link...

Old 12-28-2014, 12:02 AM

40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
If you know how to use an image editor and understand the layout of your template use the image editor to design how it looks. The tricky part is integrating that into HTML/CSS. That's how professional sites are built. There is multiple skill sets involved with any site, the creative person designing a site may only have a very limited knowledge of HTML/CSS/Programming. Their role is to be creative and that is not something that can be taught.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:35 AM

Okay, I think I've removed most of my identifying information. My new website is at www.michellesclassroom.com. What do you think? How can I improve it? Like I said, I used a template on WordPress to create it and only added a little HTML code. I'm very new to coding. The photos on the site are non-copyrighted stock photos. I'm planning to replace them eventually.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:36 AM

22,664 posts, read 17,511,230 times
I am sorry, but to me it is not professional at all. It is much too casual. You don't say "Hi! I'm Michelle" nor do you say "Bingo, it's as easy as that!" You provide no statistics or studies to prove your methods work. You don't say you got the idea for a specific teaching method by watching a TV show, even if you did. You sound like you're talking to friends, you don't come off as professional the way you wrote this IMO. You also can't say "One of our dedicated tutors" if it's only you.

Here are some professional virtual tutoring websites, also known as your competition, take a look:
Growingstars.com

Live, Online Tutoring | Smarthinking, Inc.

If you were looking for a tutor for your child, would you choose yours or one of these based on website and content?

My suggestion: Get a job at one of these virtual teaching companies rather than start your own. No one is going to hire you to tutor their kid with only sub experience, and your prices are about the same as these truly professional places where the instructors have years of experience. Really theirs are a better deal, because they also include homework help, assessment testing, an education case manager, and other extras with their tutoring packages. Getting a job with one could be perfect for you, you get a teaching job and you do not have to manage a classroom. Work for them and get experience under your belt, 3 years at least, then you can open your own.

As an aside, you can't just start a business without getting an LLC or something similar, getting a Federal tax ID for the business, etc. Do you have knowledge of small business accounting and paying taxes for a business?

Here's the application link for tutoring jobs with the second company I listed:https://careers-smarthinking.icims.c...Redirect=false but there are probably dozens of them.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 12-28-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-28-2014, 11:00 AM

9,353 posts, read 16,134,983 times
Yup ocnkgirl is right on the website. Try to use examples and customize your site to look more professional. However, I don't think it looks that bad if you are just starting off. I have seen much worse out there. You will most likely need to learn CSS and HTML or hire someone that does.

Easy Fixes...GRAPHICS...

Your graphic at the top left is pixelated you should definitely fix that... don't stretch your graphics to fit a page, MAKE them to fit.

Your graphic on the "Contact Us" page is upside down. What is this supposed to be?

ocnkgirl is right on the business as well:

1) You should at least register as a "sole proprietor", then if you make over 5k a year you should move to an LLC for liability reasons.

Think as if a parent comes after you with a lawsuit because you didn't tutor their kid properly. How will you protect your personal assets? Protect yourself.

p.s. by the way I can get to a picture of you very easily - I'll Pm you how.

Last edited by Mach50; 12-28-2014 at 11:11 AM..

Old 12-28-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yup ocnkgirl is right on the website. Try to use examples and customize your site to look more professional. However, I don't think it looks that bad if you are just starting off. I have seen much worse out there. You will most likely need to learn CSS and HTML or hire someone that does.

Easy Fixes...GRAPHICS...

Your graphic at the top left is pixelated you should definitely fix that... don't stretch your graphics to fit a page, MAKE them to fit.

Your graphic on the "Contact Us" page is upside down. What is this supposed to be?

ocnkgirl is right on the business as well:

1) You should at least register as a "sole proprietor", then if you make over 5k a year you should move to an LLC for liability reasons.

Think as if a parent comes after you with a lawsuit because you didn't tutor their kid properly. How will you protect your personal assets? Protect yourself.

p.s. by the way I can get to a picture of you very easily - I'll Pm you how.
Well, I'm at least finding examples of how NOT to start a website. Could one of you moderators please delete the link I posted? I think I seriously need to clean up my site.I'm sorry for posting such a humiliating monstrosity...

Old 12-28-2014, 01:00 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,593,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well, I'm at least finding examples of how NOT to start a website. Could one of you moderators please delete the link I posted? I think I seriously need to clean up my site.
Seriously?

You're posting for help designing a tutoring site. You receive some excellent tutoring.

And you bail...

With that attitude my new best advice is to not become a tutor. You don't have the correct outlook, at all.

And I deleted my post. Why should I offer you any help?

Wow.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:20 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 771,135 times
Why should I offer you any help?

I came to the same conclusion some time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or