Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 08:30 AM

398 posts, read 746,035 times

Advertisements

Hi All! Not sure where to put this thread.. hopefully you can help me out. I'm thinking of registering a web domain for a project/business I'm starting on and was wondering what is a good host site? Any particular steps/research I should do beforehand? My domain is currently not in use and I tried doing a domain history and so far, it's looking pretty clean. I looked on www.wordpress.com and it's like $18/yr.. compared to godaddy.com which is a bidding for over $3,000k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Are you sure the Wordpress domain is what you want? I find it hard to believe the disparity in prices. If someone is Cyber Squatting on a domain there's no way Wordpress can get it for $18 if GoDaddy is telling you $3,000.

Wordpress is probably offering something like: mywebsite.wordpress.com

GoDaddy is a great host. You'd be hard pressed to find better customer service when you need it.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Try it here: Whois Lookup, Domain Availability & IP Search - DomainTools

If it comes up as unregistered then you register it with numerous places, usually about $15/year for a .com address.

If it's listed someone has it registered and that is probably the case hence the reason Godaddy wants $3K. They are probably acting as broker.

As peregrine mentioned the Wordpress deal is probably for a subdomain.

Keep in mind registering a domain and hosting are separate however many places like Godaddy offer it as a package. Starter packages are going to be around $5 to $10 per month including the domain registration.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:18 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,022,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Try it here: Whois Lookup, Domain Availability & IP Search - DomainTools

If it comes up as unregistered then you register it with numerous places, usually about $15/year for a .com address.

If it's listed someone has it registered and that is probably the case hence the reason Godaddy wants $3K. They are probably acting as broker.

As peregrine mentioned the Wordpress deal is probably for a subdomain.

Keep in mind registering a domain and hosting are separate however many places like Godaddy offer it as a package. Starter packages are going to be around $5 to $10 per month including the domain registration.
I Just want to add on

If it is available, or you find another name and you choose to register it, first look for godaddy promocodes(just google it). They sometimes have codes that will drop the registration price to .99 cents for the first year..

Old 12-24-2014, 11:31 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Here's a $0.99 .com first year registry:
Domain names search and registration | Register domains for your website

I register my domains with 1and1 routinely, and then $14.99 after the first year. 99 cents lets me park a domain for a year and decide if I want to keep it after that.
If you are trying to protect a business/brand name, I suggest you also buy the .info, .net, .org, .biz and keep them redirected to your .com.

I wouldn't use 1and1 for site hosting, just because of bad reviews and the ponderous slowness of their dashboards. But for initial registering, it is pretty easy and painless.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:49 AM

398 posts, read 746,035 times
Ok thanks all!! Yep, going to go through godaddy..and have to think of a new name because I can't fork out $3000 right now loll. If I use wordpress, it's just a subdomain even though it will be .com

Old 12-25-2014, 03:20 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times
I use Hostgator, and I am not unhappy with them and their service. Before I retired I had neighborhood 40 registered domains for a business I was trying to build (one for each state where we were trying to build a nationwide custom home building business).

Nowadays I have only my placeholder domain (Hostgator organizes things a but funny IMHO, but what do I know about web hosting?) and my photograpy/postcard business site.

GoDaddy gives you one e-mail addy for free. If you want more you pay. Other hosting services often allow more than one, so that you can have e-mail boxes for helpdesk, sales, vendors, service, and other organizational things. Makes managing your e-mail a bit more organized and less hectic.

Good luck with your business!

Old 12-25-2014, 07:25 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
I just moved my sites to mediatemple.com, a subsidiary of GoDaddy, which offers domains and hosting. I'm happy with it so far, but they do have some expectation that you know what you are doing.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:45 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
I'm thinking of registering a web domain for a project/business I'm starting on and was wondering what is a good host site?

1. I do not like godaddy.com. I used them briefly over five years ago.

2. I used hostgator.com for several temporary projects for about five years, some local political and fund raising charity campaigns, and my own personal main site. There were a few errors which compounded and after several months of non response I closed all the accounts. Then finally was contacted and the issue was to be fixed, but too late for me. If I needed one account only, I would consider them.

3. wordpress.com is good for a blog. I helped someone create their free blog. Are you trying to do a blog?

You comment below makes no sense to me, except a warning of a situation which use to exist. You search for a domain, it seems to not exist, then you go to a web host, alas, they have the domain tied up and charge an exorbitant fee...
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
Any particular steps/research I should do beforehand? My domain is currently not in use and I tried doing a domain history and so far, it's looking pretty clean. I looked on www.wordpress.com and it's like $18/yr.. compared to godaddy.com which is a bidding for over $3,000k

Old 12-25-2014, 08:14 PM

406 posts, read 619,255 times
Not thrilled with them, but I host with go daddy. Highly recommend Weebly if you need an easy way to design the site (they do offer hosting too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet