U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 03:16 PM

98 posts, read 100,568 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am looking for some advice. I want to create my own professional website/blog for the book I am about to publish about being a cancer survivor.

Where do I even start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 03:30 PM

14,440 posts, read 14,355,626 times
Um, I'd start by asking in the Internet section of the Science and Technology forum.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:37 PM

318 posts, read 425,430 times
Jezer is correct. However, here's a quick tip:

..................... WordPress

https://wordpress.com/website/?v=2&s...FUWUaQodv1kAKw

Mighty easy if you are wanting to set one up.
Different grades of service, though for your subject
matter it could work well at much less expense.
Is working well for many friends of mine.

Am also a cancer survivor.. : ) . After all- cancer is a word, not a sentence.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:12 PM

9,129 posts, read 13,996,302 times
Hire a professional web designer. The results of someone who has no knowledge of website building or design trying to make their own website never turns out professional looking.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:17 PM

19 posts, read 21,435 times
I second using Wordpress - find a template you like and don't change it too much until you truly understand how it all works. It takes a lot of time and money to get a blog in the forefront and get lots of followers - plan on several years even with professional help. Daily posting is much better imho because it gives followers something to look forward to each day - inspiration is hard to find...

Old 12-30-2014, 06:23 AM

4,366 posts, read 3,645,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms9747 View Post
Hey all,

I am looking for some advice. I want to create my own professional website/blog for the book I am about to publish about being a cancer survivor.

Where do I even start?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Your stories are probably very inspiring and deserve to be told; my mother and several members of her family passed away due to cancer; it's a terrible disease. Anyone who can survive the dangerous treatments and mutilation deserves to be able to have the story heard. I would second the WordPress suggestion. They have very professional looking templates. For hosting, you might want to check out Hostgator; they have pretty affordable hosting plans. If you want your own domain name, you can try namecheap.com. If you want to go the free route, you could look into just getting an account on Blogger and promoting it via word-of-mouth. Google tends to be pretty kind to its own sites. WordPress sites also get a lot of leniency and often appear in search results.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:03 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,819,717 times
The 2 main options is hiring some-one or doing it yourself, that depends on your budget and scope. One can create a professional looking blog site using online designers, but companies hire professionals.

I build functional websites professionally, it's a little different, so I don't know what more to suggest. Best bet is to ask around for a referral, a "professional" will charge like $400-1000.

LinkedIn, for instance, join a Writer's group there and ask what other writers use. Maybe there are good, inexpensive products just for writers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or