Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:48 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,576,625 times

Advertisements

While we are on the subject, does anyone know of some places that cover HTML, Java, CSS, etc. in depth? I'm having fun covering the basics with code academy, but I'm pretty sure I will later want to get into the habit of actually programming things from memory. Since it's a language, I'm assuming the few sentences I've learned are just the tip of the ice. Also, are there any fun memory tricks to keep all of the symbols in order? Trying to learn them through constantly using them gets repetitive and boring.

Also, this may be unrelated, but what is C#? Is it a good idea to learn it, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 10:51 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
This is an excellent book for HTML and CSS (and some JS): Head First Labs from O'Reilly Media, Inc. :: Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

Why do you want to learn Java at the same time? I think you should stick to HTML/CSS/JS for now.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is an excellent book for HTML and CSS (and some JS): Head First Labs from O'Reilly Media, Inc. :: Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

Why do you want to learn Java at the same time? I think you should stick to HTML/CSS/JS for now.
Thanks! I've downloaded it and have only read the introduction, but so far it looks like a great book, and it uses a great learning principle, "make it interesting using pictures and novelty, and work with the brain instead of against it." I'm not a big fan or boring readings, but I could probably get into anything that has a little bit of that interpersonal element.

This is a little off-topic, but do you know of any other science, math, or computing books packed with useful information that are written in a fun witty conversational style? I really would like to learn general science and advanced math, but I'm just not great at teaching myself out of books that threaten to put me to sleep.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Thanks! I've downloaded it and have only read the introduction, but so far it looks like a great book, and it uses a great learning principle, "make it interesting using pictures and novelty, and work with the brain instead of against it." I'm not a big fan or boring readings, but I could probably get into anything that has a little bit of that interpersonal element.

This is a little off-topic, but do you know of any other science, math, or computing books packed with useful information that are written in a fun witty conversational style? I really would like to learn general science and advanced math, but I'm just not great at teaching myself out of books that threaten to put me to sleep.
They only let you download sample chapters. You have to purchase the book for all the content. It's available on Amazon.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
They only let you download sample chapters. You have to purchase the book for all the content. It's available on Amazon.
I don't have to actually purchase a hard copy book, do I?

Old 12-30-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I don't have to actually purchase a hard copy book, do I?
No. You can read it online at Safari Books: Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML: O'Reilly - Safari Books Online

I don't believe it's available on Kindle.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:24 PM

671 posts, read 900,088 times
HTML Tutorial

Usually the site I wind up at when doing google searches. I will modify code to my likening, never coded a full blown site though.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
No. You can read it online at Safari Books: Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML: O'Reilly - Safari Books Online

I don't believe it's available on Kindle.
Thanks for the advice. I've finished a pretty good portion of the book and have learned a lot of simple HTML code. If nothing else, it certainly gives me a suitable place to start, not to mention I think I have a new favorite non-fiction how-to series.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:13 PM

One thing that I'm really not too clear on. What exactly is FTP, and do you have to know FTP code in order to launch a site you've written? What are programs like Dreamweaver, and are they easy to use? I don't really consider Photoshop user-friendly if that's an indication of anything.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:18 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,660,964 times
Quote:
One thing that I'm really not too clear on. What exactly is FTP, and do you have to know FTP code in order to launch a site you've written? What are programs like Dreamweaver, and are they easy to use? I don't really consider Photoshop user-friendly if that's an indication of anything.
FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, and is a method for transferring files to or from a remote server.

In the case of web hosting, there is an FTP Server installed on the web server. You install an FTP Client on your computer, and then you can connect to the FTP Server and transfer files up and down.

You'll be given a user name and password for FTP with your hosting account (often the same as your hosting account control panel user name and password).

Filezilla is a popular free FTP Client.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet