U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:02 AM

13,005 posts, read 7,837,545 times

Advertisements

So Comcast formerly provided Constant Guard Protection Suite free of charge along with Norton antivirus.

Constant Guard was less than perfect, as it had ads for computer fixers/cleaners/ID theft protection services, etc on the right side of the main panel, but if you could accept that they were just there and ignore them, you were all good. The product seemed useful, not only storing login information but protecting one from keyloggers stealing it by having a "click the number pad to log in" setup. I know that in the past (don't know about now) even the military used a similar protocol for login (clicking numbers and characters, instead of typing them in, to defeat keylogging.)

Well, with little warning, I recently had Constant Guard replaced by White Sky "Fast Connect." This new program not only has the same ads the old one had, it causes many glitchy behaviors in user machines, such as browser freezes and random minimizing (I didn't experience that but some did) and in my case, perpetual requests to enable a browser extension (popups, annoying) and for some reason it was "working in background" so much that it was like my mouse cursor had the hiccups. It was switching from the little swirly ring to a pointer and back every few seconds, constantly.

But the final straw...the worst thing of all...was that if you finally give in and OK the browser extension which is somehow supposed to make your browser more secure, it actually enables something called Visual Shopper. Simply put, VS is adware. But it's worse in a way than many. Because if you are shopping anywhere...trying to look at ads for products you are actually interested in on Craigslist, or Ebay, or Etsy, or Amazon...this funky little utility will place photo ads to external websites superimposed OVER the pictures in the listing you're viewing. Not only is that beyond irritating to the consumer, it's terrible for sellers on these sites.

If you suddenly have Visual Shopper, and can't seem to find and remove it with scans...this is why. It's part of Fast Connect.

So I want to spread the word...Fast Connect is NO BUENO. Uninstall it, if you have it.

There are other free utilities that store logins, and are better, including ID Vault by Norton which is included free with your antivirus suite if you have Comcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 08:42 PM

2,760 posts, read 2,820,052 times
Where I live, I only have Comcast. I don't have a choice between Verizon and Comcast or anything like that. I would not mind dumping Comcast.

The only service I use is the High speed internet, I pay Comcast $103 a month. Maybe I need to reevaluate my internet options.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:31 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
ConstantGuard has never been stable, nor very useful. I always recommend people remove it entirely.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:28 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
I, also, have avoided ConstantGuard. I do love the free subscription to Norton Internet Security, however.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Where I live, I only have Comcast. I don't have a choice between Verizon and Comcast or anything like that. I would not mind dumping Comcast.

The only service I use is the High speed internet, I pay Comcast $103 a month. Maybe I need to reevaluate my internet options.
Most of the nation has alternate options for internet. Rural areas tend to have less (or no) competition. In my state (NJ), the entire state has multiple internet providers.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 7,837,545 times
I like the speed of the internet service, and have always appreciated bundled billing and enjoyed our cable package. There have been issues I've had with Comcast that were unfortunate but I didn't see a clear lack of those same issues (or a tradeoff for equally bothersome ones) with competing providers.

But this Fast Connect thing...

I don't know if Constant Guard was a product actually provided or administered by Comcast or if it was a third party software, maybe it was always from White Sky and now it's just under a new name. The new product's interface looks exactly the same. But it is more intrusive and throwing adware at users is just not cool. I feel for people who try to make a living selling on the sites I mentioned, any number of potential customers are having photos of product obfuscated by ads to other sites now, and since it is customer-side there's nothing the sellers can do about it.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Most of the nation has alternate options for internet. Rural areas tend to have less (or no) competition. In my state (NJ), the entire state has multiple internet providers.
I am from North Jersey, Essex county, most places have only one choice in their cable company. It's rare to have a choice between Comcast and Verizon.

hold on, I just checked and as it turns out I can get FIOS, since I own my router it's just flipping the equipment.

Ok Comcast, see ya !

Old 01-01-2015, 06:34 PM

I just called em, no FIOS to my address

Old 01-02-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I am from North Jersey, Essex county, most places have only one choice in their cable company. It's rare to have a choice between Comcast and Verizon.

hold on, I just checked and as it turns out I can get FIOS, since I own my router it's just flipping the equipment.

Ok Comcast, see ya !
There are other option for broadband in Essex. You can get Verizon Wireless Broadband, AT&T Wireless Home Broadband, and Sprint Wireless in Essex.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:45 PM

1,080 posts, read 829,504 times
Quote:

have they ever shut you off for using to much bandwith. the first time they did that to me id'e tell them to stick it and to come get there **** out of my house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or